Part 4

"Who are you." I demand, though my voice is only able to push it out in a whisper so it's a lot less harsh than I had intended. Collin sighs and rubs his hand over his face, stopping to cover his mouth. He stares at me, his eyes flickering as if battling internally. Finally, he takes his hand away in order to speak,

"I can't tell you. I promised some people I wouldn't tell you anything until we were all together. I had hoped to have more time but I think you are too astute to fool for long." I don't agree or disagree, he's starting to freak me out. I look at the arched walkway I entered through, it's the only exit in this part of the exhibit. Collin follows my line of thought and his eyes widen, panicked. I'm so surprised by the intensity of his expression that I don't make the hasty exit my muscles were geared up for. Pausing, I allow him to redeem himself.

"Please, can you trust me? I know you don't know me from jack and I am aware it would be totally stupid to follow a strange man you just met anywhere, but could you come somewhere with me? I have someone who really wants to meet you." Despite my best efforts, I'm intrigued. Curiosity has always been a big weakness of mine, and I know that even if it's the smart thing to do, I won't be able to walk away from that kind of open-ended question. But, at least, I can make my decision as safe as possible.

"I'll follow you in my car." I say. Collin flashes my one of those movie star grins, all teeth and charm and I'm embarrassed to say that I'm so blinded by it that I don't really shake off the effects until we are in the parking lot. I watch Dr. Haven head towards a really expensive looking black sports car. It's sleek and shiny. I don't know cars but even I know that not even a doctor should be able to afford that kind" of car. I push away my questions for later, there was no time to ponder when I needed to be following said fancy car to whatever person Collin is intent on introducing to me.

As I follow him onto the highway, all I can think of is who I am going to be meeting. The only thing Collin knows about me is that my mother died, and was in the system. Maybe it's some sort of grief-support group? Or maybe he knows someone who is doing a case-study or book on the system and wants to get a first (or second) hand account? The other option, the one I feel trickling down from the back of my mind where it had festered since the moment I saw those eyes, that option I refuse to consider. It's too much like a fairy tale, and too much like false hope to allow myself to consider it. So, I shove it back and refocus on the shiny little zoom zoom mobile I'm supposed to be following.

Collin

"I'm sorry, I couldn't just sit there and act like I wasn't about to change this girl's life. She guessed something was up and I felt like it was better to just introduce her to you know." Collin tried hard to keep the bite out of his voice. The woman on the other end of his Bluetooth speakerphone was nervous and stressed, they all were.

"You could have given me a little more time! I haven't even had time to do my hair..."

"I'm sure you look fine, Aunt Christine. She's not going to notice whether or not you've done your hair." This time, the exasperation slipped through despite his best efforts. It was time to say goodbye before his Aunt made him more agitated than he already was.

"I'm going to hang up now, Aunt Christine, we'll be there soon." He quickly disconnected the call before the meddlesome lady could protest. With shaking hands, he resumed his white-knuckled hold on his steering wheel. Christine wasn't the only one frazzled at the moment. As he signaled for the exit off the highway, the thoughts in his head jumbled and bounced around until he could barely focus on the way towards the hotel. What if she didn't like them? Or what if they didn't like her? That wasn't likely but the thought was there. But the question that was making its presence known in the biggest way, having rooted itself ever since he called to ask his brother for that favor, growing bigger the longer he let it fester. That question was not as easy to brush aside as the others, Collin couldn't help but ask himself,