I

《· of untamed instincts ·》

~°~

He descends through the village, setting buildings aflame. A thundering roar blares over whatever dares challenge his wrath. He hears nothing but groaning wood and the crackling fire. What a delight it is to satisfy the ravenous rage.

The ground quakes beneath him as the mighty dragon lands. Heavy steps rise the fallen ash from its slumber. His golden eyes search the fire-stricken land. Thick wafts of smoke and charring flesh burn the inside of his nostrils, but it's not what makes them flare.

His eyes blaze with desperation, searching through the burning chaos for the reason he came. The female he seeks.

The smell of lavender, a scent so soft and subtle, yet enough for him to get intoxicated by. The scales on his back, a burly charcoal grey, suddenly feel brittle, weak. He takes another whiff. It's stronger, delicate, yet it's undoing the tendrils of anger in his red-hazed vision.

A beastly roar rips past his throat, and a sense of victory possesses him, throwing his head back to declare his claim. The curves of muscle etched strongly under his scales tighten. Whiffs of smoke heave from his nostrils, and his snarling mouth exposes a clenched jaw of sharp teeth.

The softest breath of a maiden reaches his ears, a small fit of coughs and immediately a shudder runs through the dragon's spine. His heart squeezes with anticipation, adrenalin clenching the already taut muscle.

Blazing eyes continue to seek out the maiden. Golden eyes narrow at the female stepping out from behind the debris. She's waving a hand in front of her face, scrunching her expression as another fit of coughs overwhelms her.

His body quivers with anxiety, excitement, and uncertainty. He takes a step forward. A dominant growl suppresses him, rumbling through the grey body, and wills another step out of him.

Once the maiden recovers, she looks up at him with wide eyes. The dragon is more than pleased that she shows no hints of fear. She has never seen him in his dragon form, and her reaction delights him.

When she slowly walks to him in brave steps, a possessive urge flows through him, his instincts demanding to claim what belongs to him.

He then shifts. The natural process is all concealed by the cloud of smoke waving off him. His human form stands in the centre of the dispersing smoke and he quickly finds a pair of trousers that aren't too badly charred.

He isn't too sure his maiden will appreciate seeing his nude self so soon. Not that he's ashamed of anything.

As the smoke clears, he steps out, and in place of the mighty dragon stands a fearsome young man with dishevelled black hair, golden skin of his people, and a set of vibrant blue eyes.