VI

《· of savoured admiration ·》

~°~

What was it with Olivia's habit of staring up at the ceiling of her room as if it held all the possible answers to her questions? Was it simply her way of trying to escape her own distraught reality?

Perhaps, so, because it was roughly around midnight, yet the slivers of bright orange streaked the wooden floor. It always contrasted so oddly with the dark brown, making it a murky colour that felt offensive.

Sitting on the plush white chair in her room with her feet settling on the footrest, Olivia had her hands clasped together over her stomach. While she slouched to one side, it allowed her to angle her head up and simply stare at the ceiling.

The royal ball was mere hours away and the midnight she sat quietly within might very well be her last as a maiden.

It seemed like a tragedy but nonetheless, what did she expect?

The paled flowers seemed far freer than she did, swaying to the wind that tangled its vines and it was a carving. What a tragedy that posed as.

A dog started barking outside, though the maiden paid no attention to it. Its distance barks travelled loudly, enough to reach past her window as a gust swept in from outside. But when it touched Olivia's naked legs, it felt warmer than her own temperature.

How odd.

Alas, Olivia was much too preoccupied with her thoughts to care, much less notice the small flame in the lantern by her window suddenly being snuffed out. Olivia closed her eyes, however, a frown knitted her brows as a weird sensation shuddered down her spine. Flutters stammered within her chest, racing to the same rhythm as her sudden ragged breath.

The maiden would've looked in the mirror to see if there was anything wrong with her sudden reaction. No doubt she'd dismiss it as a lack of sleep or her jittery nerves about being wedded within hours. Maybe both. She would've, for the most part.

But nothing pulled such a reaction from her, especially a reaction only her body reacted to. And she had only felt it once, and only one 'person' made her feel it.

Her eyes flew open, her breath ridden from her lungs once she spotted him. Blue Eyes. He stood by the window, the same cloak hiding almost every aspect there was of him. However, his soft blue glimmer glared at the darkness of her room, stealing all the attention.

"You're here," she breathed out, rising from her chair. "How did you find me?"

Silence.

Blue Eyes didn't move. The stormy swirl of blue ignited within his eyes sent a pleasant shiver running along her bare shoulders. Goosebumps stood at the tension as Olivia slowly made her way over to him, unaware of how exposed she was wearing just her chemise.