iii. last words

"I just don't understand why you can't just listen!" Liam shouted through the receiver he held to his ear as he wandered about his shared flat with his boyfriend, Zayn, who was driving back from Bradford.

"Sweetheart, I am listening. I'm sorry for what happened," Zayn said, his voice crackling with static, "I had a family emergency, and my mum was fine."

Liam scoffed. "Zayn, I find it hard to believe you were in Bradford for two days looking after your mum who was suspiciously in fine health," Liam said harshly, leaning against the wall. He heard Zayn sigh over the line.

"Babe, I...I went out. With some of my friends. To catch up on what they'd been doing, since I was in the area," the other boy reluctantly said. Liam nearly blew his top across the room.

"You went out instead of with your mum and didn't even tell me? That's something you could have told me! You could have alerted me without me having to scavenge through your Facebook and Twitter because you wouldn't pick up your damn phone to see where the hell you'd gone!" Liam roared.

Zayn was silent for a moment, and then a small "I'm so sorry, baby," came through the receiver. "You know what?" Liam yelled.

"I'm not accepting that apology. That was terrible, Zayn! What on earth would even make you go to Bradford with your mates without either taking me or letting me know where you'd gone? When you get home, we have a lot to talk about," Liam said sternly, ending the phone call.

••••

It was nearly five when Liam got another call. "If it's from Zayn, I'm gonna kill him," he whispered, picking up. "Hello?"

"Hi. Is this Liam Payne? This is Wolverhampton Regional Hospital."

Liam stood up, shuddering as his bare chest and feet made contact with the cold air and floor. "Yes, this is he. What seems to be the problem?" he asked, searching for a shirt in his drawers.

"It seems that your boyfriend, Zayn Malik, was involved in a car crash last night with a large Ford pickup truck. We request that you report to the hospital immediately."

Liam had his car keys and shoes on before he ended the call.

••••

"Is he okay?" Liam panted as he ran up to the doctor standing outside of Zayn's room. The look on his face said it all. "Frankly, we don't expect him to make it through the night. I'm so sorry," he said softly, patting Liam's back and tucking his clipboard underneath his armpit, walking down the hallway and disappearing around the corner.

Liam tiptoed over to the door, turning the knob and opening it. He immediately brought his hands over his mouth.

Zayn had an oxygen mask with a pump coming out of it, covering his nose and mouth. A syringe was injected inside his left forearm, and IV bags swung silently in the rhythm of the AC air next to him. His face was bruised and blackened, and there was blood caked in his hair.

Liam pulled up a chair, taking ahold of Zayn's hand and tearing up. "I'm so sorry for yelling at you. I'm so sorry for not forgiving you. I'm so sorry. I want you back. I need you back, Zayn. I need you here with me. I can't do this without you," Liam whispered, tears trickling down his cheeks.

Zayn's heart monitor began to beep.

Liam's eyes widened, squeezing Zayn's hand as he stared at the monitor in horror. "No! No, you can't leave me! You can't do this! Please come back to me! Don't leave me here alone!" Liam yelled hysterically as doctors and nurses swarmed into the room, pushing the sobbing boy into the hallway. The door was shut, and Liam watched the scene unfold before him.

One charge. Nothing. Two charges. Nothing.

The doctor shook his head, turning the blind into the room closed.

Liam backed up until he hit the wall, and slid down until he was sitting. He began to cry, salty tears falling down his cheeks.

He's dead. He's dead. He's dead. He's dead.

And Liam could never take back the words he said to him that night.

••••

sorry. that one was very emotionally charged. and I'm finally back in the Ziam writing mood :)

Skye xx