iv. fearless

"I have an idea."

Liam looked over at Zayn, who was currently cuddling with a pillow on the opposite side of the couch, evidently having had enough of the F.R.I.E.N.D.S rerun. "What do you have in mind?" Liam asked as she twisted a lock of her black hair around her finger as she stood up.

"We can go for a walk," she said, as she walked down the hallway and inside her room, shutting the door softly behind her. Liam sighed, standing up and brushing off his jeans. He'd just gotten home from work, and Zayn had promised him that they could have a movie night.

Zayn had moved in with Liam for university. Liam and she had been childhood friends, and they stuck together throughout high school. Liam had moved to New York for uni, and Zayn did too. However, when Zayn came to his doorstep with bags of stuff and a plea for somewhere to stay, Liam didn't hesitate, but it was more along the lines of him having a crush on her.

Liam wanted her to be his.

Zayn was, in Liam's eyes, flawless. Everything about her was beautiful. Her large hazel eyes complimented her dark hair and tan skin nicely, and when she smiled (like that smile with the tongue behind the teeth) Liam's whole world lights up like Christmas.

Liam also had this weird hint that maybe Zayn liked him too. There was one time, back in March, where Liam had been attacked with the sickness known as strep throat, and Zayn had stayed behind to baby him up instead of going to a frat party at Harry's.

There was that time where Zayn had insisted on cooking every meal one day, and burned the rice (Liam still has to figure out how burning rice is even possible). He said he loved it (it tasted awful, but he got through it), and Zayn had blushed profusely.

And those countless times where Zayn asked for a snuggle after a recurring nightmare she had when they watched The Conjuring a little too late at night and Liam obliged, being the gentleman he was.

So yes, Liam had a crush.

Zayn pranced out of her room, her tight plaid shirt hugging her curves perfectly. Liam pulled her hair jokingly, and Zayn giggled. As soon as she made that noise, Liam had whimpered inside, because it sounded angelic.

Like the rest of her.

"Ready?" she asked, and Liam nodded in reply, walking out the door with Zayn on his heels. They turned onto the sidewalk and then Liam smirked. "I have a good idea of a walk. We can go through Central Park," he said, grabbing Zayn's hand.

Zayn jerked a little at the movement, sparks flying up her arm, but she nodded. "Yeah, sure," she said uneasily, her eyes flitting around (which happened whenever she was anxious or nervous).

Liam looked at Zayn, concerned. "You okay with that?" he asked softly, and Zayn smiled. "Yeah, man. I'm fearless," she stated, folding her arms and striking a pose. Liam rolled his eyes and made his way down the sidewalk towards the park.

The park was spooky at night. Tonight, there was a full moon, so there was some brightness, but there was a light gathering of clouds across the sky. Liam looked behind him at Zayn, who had her hood up over her head, her arms clasped tightly around her and flinching after every small noise within the park.

"Oh, is somebody scared?" Liam whispered in a baby voice, and Zayn glared at him. "No, I'm not sc--ah!" she shrieked, bolting over to Liam as a twig snapped. Liam laughed, holding onto his friend as they watched a small squirrel scurry across the pavement.

"Oh, really?" Liam remarked, and Zayn hit him. "Okay, a little," she admitted, sighing. Liam turned and kept walking, this time with an arm around her shoulder. "Fearless, huh?" he asked as the silence around them wore on.

Zayn shook her head faintly. "I wish," she moaned, flinching as a bird flew off, setting the leaves fluttering against each other on the tree above them. Liam pulled her closer in. "Hey, don't worry. I'll protect you," he said, pushing his chest out and setting both hands on his hips.

"Oh, shut up," Zayn said, slapping Liam's shoulder. Then, suddenly, Liam felt a drop on his face. "Oh, it's raining," he moaned as it began to drizzle. They'd exited the undercover of the trees and more rain began to pelt down on them as they crossed the large empty parking lot.

That's when Zayn giggled.

Liam turned to her, but she was already sprinting away, leaping up and clicking her heels together in a broad shout of enjoyment like the chimney cleaner from Mary Poppins. Liam ran after Zayn, her antics forcing a small smile onto his face.

"Dance with you in a storm in my best dress; fearless."

Zayn smiled as she twirled in the sheets of rain, the droplets falling down her face and slicking her hair to her scalp and soaking her clothes, making her look more small and more fragile than she really was. That's when Liam realized that he loved her.

He really did.

Zayn stood still, her arms spread out on either side of her, her face turned to the sky and her eyes closed as she took in the cold droplets of rain pounding against her skin, chilling her to the bone.

She looked over at Liam, who had made his way closer to her, and she smiled as he got even closer. Their chests were touching, and Zayn could feel Liam's heartbeat through his breast, pounding out a rhythm of anxiousness. His eyes flickered from her face to her lips, as if deciding what to do.

"Liam, what--" Zayn tried to say, but was cut off.

By a pair of lips.

Liam's lips.

Zayn's eyes grew to the size of saucers as the feeling of Liam kissing her (her best mate that she's been crushing on since forever) and that's when she kissed back. She moved her lips with Liam's, ruffling her fingers through his soaking hair, and she felt his own do the same to her.

Liam licked her bottom lip, and Zayn's mouth opened with a small moan from the back of her throat. The feeling of Liam's tongue all over her mouth, across her teeth and rubbing against her own tongue was taking her breath away.

"It's the first kiss, it's flawless, really somethin'. It's fearless."

Liam broke it off first, his mind screaming for oxygen. The two gasped for air, staring into each other's eyes. "I-I...I'm so sorry, I just had to do that, and you looked so good in the rain!" Liam shouted, turning and beginning to walk away. He felt a hand grip his arm, and he turned slowly around in surprise.

Zayn's eyes were sparkling. Literally sparkling. "Liam, I...that was...that was amazing," she stammered out, and Liam turned fully so he was once again facing her, flush with her body. "So you like me?" he asked, his voice slightly squeaky.

Zayn nodded, pushing a short lock of hair from Liam's eyes. "Yes, I do. Why do you think I came to you and not Harry for a room? Why do you think I took care of you that night you had strep instead of going to party? Why did I come to you for that freaky nightmare? Why did I blush at your kind comment on the rice, even though I knew it tasted horrific?"

"Because I loved you!"

Liam smiled, his eyes reflecting the stars as the rain petered off and then ceased altogether. "I've been in love with you ever since you moved in," he murmured, cupping her face in his hands. Zayn rolled her eyes. "Well, you could've just told me, you idiot," she replied, a smirk on her lips.

Liam sighed. "Well, I had a fear of rejection. I had a feeling you liked me, but I'm not as fearless as you are. And tonight, I guess it was the rain that gave me the courage to kiss you," he finished, looking down at Zayn.

Zayn winked. "Then you better be thanking the man upstairs for the rain to come tonight," she replied, jerking her head at the sky. Liam laughed, leaning in for another kiss. They stayed lip locked for about ten seconds, and Liam pulled away.

"So, Zayn Jawaad Malik...will you be my girlfriend?" he asked shyly, blushing a little. Zayn laughed, interlocking her fingers with his as they made their way back to the flat. "Of course, Liam. Of course," she said, and when they got back to the flat, they cuddled in Zayn's bed.

"Fearless."