Sitting in a Cafe - 1

Posted on October 19, 2012 by thedokantsu

--

(Chapter 1)

--

She held out her palm and took the coins being placed on it, dropping them carelessly in her bag. "Thank you." She gave the young man behind the counter a quick smile before stepping aside to wait for her coffee.

She checked her phone for messages and drummed her fingers absentmindedly on the small wooden surface near the espresso machine while waiting.

She turned around and caught sight of a young woman sitting in a corner table, alone, sipping her coffee calmly.

The woman was not reading a book nor was she listening to music or busily typing on a laptop. She was just watching people around her or stared dreamily at the empty seat in front of her – smiling to herself every once a while.

"One non-fat latte."

She heard the voice and turned around to grab her order. "Thank you." She sipped the hot liquid carefully and returned to watching the sitting woman for a few more seconds before deciding to approach her.

The woman looked up in surprise – face lighting up in joyful expectation – and almost stood up when she pulled the chair and roughly sat on it. The face quickly turned into sour resentment and a frown – complete with furrowed brows and pouting lips. "What are you doing here?"

"Hello. I'm happy to see you too, my friend. It's been a while indeed. Months, I think?" She answered coolly, sipping her drink one more time before putting it down on the table and crossing her arms. She raised her eyebrows and threw her friend a questioning look.

The young woman pretended to drink from her cup as well, averting the gaze.

"Taeng..."

No answer.

"What are you doing here?" She leaned forward.

"Drinking coffee."

She didn't move. "Who did you think I was?"

Her friend looked away, tapping her cup with her finger.

"Taengoo."

Taeyeon sighed and finally faced her friend. "What?"

"Who are you waiting for?"

"A friend."

She tilted her head. "Hi, I'm your best friend who met you when you hadn't even hit puberty. I don't think an ordinary friend would make you sit alone, waiting in a café, staring at an empty chair while smiling to yourself then standing up like a kid greeting Santa and his bag of toys on Christmas Eve. Who is it?"

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. "Nosy."

"The title 'best friend' automatically comes with that job description, unfortunately," she calmly replied – undeterred by her friend's attempt to avoid the topic.

Taeyeon didn't reply.

"Is this why you've been refusing to hang out with us? Why you keep disappearing and not answering my calls or my texts? You've been meeting someone?" She asked again when the other person didn't seem to want to say anything else.

Her best friend hesitated but then nodded slowly.

She took a deep breath. "Spill it out, Taeng."