Chapter 9

"A a month? " I stutter completely dumbfounded. How the hell did I manage to sleep an entire month?! Why didn't he attempt to wake me? I could have starved! Or maybe I am starved. I could have died!!

"Yes, Vitani and I tried for days to wake you up but you wouldn't even stir. We honestly thought you had died but you were breathing so we let you be. " "I could have died from starvation and dehydration. " "But you're alive. " "Yeah 'cause I finally woke up. "

Before Rafiki can answer Vitani's thin body with mesmerizing violet eyes steps into view. "Hey! You're finally awake, we thought you died. " She chuckles and walks towards me to hug me with her neck. Instead of being angry with her rather rude remark of my being dead it instantly fades when her fur comes in contact with mine. This is where I belong, to be with her and her pride.

But I know it can't be.

"How'd you sleep? " "Like the dead. " "Haha. " I smile and she does the same. Of the minimal times I've seen her smile it's my favorite facial expression of hers so far. "I brought you something. " Her raspy voice fills my ears. "Really? " "Yup. " She plops the zebra thigh in front of me. "Zebra. " My stomach growls and I dig into the damn thing as if I hadn't eaten in forever. Well in a month!

"How are things at Pride Rock? " "Things are okay I guess. Kovu is always with Simba, you know, learning the ways of becoming a king and Kiara's with her mother learning to be a queen. Neither are thrilled of being apart for twelve hours a day but they're improving. " "How are you? " "To be honest, I've been worried about you. " Her words shock and thrill me. "Really? " "Yeah. I've lost almost everyone in my life that I've learned to care for. I didn't want you to be one of them. " I was wrong, dead wrong, those words shock me causing me to choke on my own saliva. "Hey, woah, don't die on me now. " She laughs making me do the same.

"Come on. Rafiki should be worried about our whereabouts. " She tells me and we walk side by side back to the Baobab Tree.

We didn't walk far only to the waterhole and back, but, I kind of don't want to argue with her since we've only just started to get along.

"Welcome back. " Rafiki's face lightens up and hugs both me and Vitani. "We've only been gone for an hour or two. " I tell him not exactly sure why he missed us that much. "I know, but, it gets lonely here sometimes. It feels good to have people here. "

I feel bad for the poor monkey, he's one of the nicest people I know and he lives here alone. "Don't you have a mate? " "Oh no. I'm married to my job. " "Which is? " "To take care of the people of the Pride Lands. " "But, isn't it a bit sad? You know, being here alone all the time? " I ask laying down in front of him and Vitani does the same. "Not really, almost everyday a new face appears, and it's my job to make sure they are cured. " "Seems nice. " Vitani finally speaks. "It is. " He assures her.

"What are all those markings? " I ask flicking my head towards the bark behind him. "They aren't markings. They are drawing of all the kings and queens of the past. My great grandfather started this and ever since then it's been my family's job to draw The Great Kings and Queens. " The pride in he voice makes my ears flick with anticipation. "I want to hear another story. I like the way you tell them. " I rest my head in between my large paws and I notice that Tani scoots a bit closer to me so I lift one of my paws and place it on hers. I surprised he a bit but she didn't remove my paw.

"Which one? " "I don't know. I wanna hear about the time that Scar ruled. " I hear Vitani choke causing me to look over to her. "You okay? " "Me? Yeah, why wouldn't I be? " "Is it okay if I speak of your father? "

Father?

"Wait. Scar is your father? " She nods answering my question. "But, how? " "My mother fell in love with him and so they had my older brother, me, and adopted Kovu. "