Chapter 1

I wake up with a start. Sweat dripping down my face. I was scared yet I wasn't. Every night for the past week I have had the same dream, but it doesn't feel like a dream. It's more like a flashback that's hunting me. It was me as a little girl standing on the edge of a cliff. I'm not afraid I'm just standing there. Then I fall. I scream the whole way down until I hit the water. As I float to the bottom the water begins to glow all around me. That's where it ends. Leaving me scared and confused. Why does it mean? I sit up and snap my fingers to lower my bed to the ground. I always put it to high. I make my way to the bathroom and turn on the light. "Face recognition on," said my mirror. "Esha" My bathroom came to life my drawers flew opened revealing hair brushes, headbands, and hair ties. I looked at myself in the mirror. My long brown hair a tangled mess all over my face. I grab my hairbrush and for an hour I brushed out my hair. I decided today to braid my hair into two braids. When I was young my mother used to say when I braided my hair I looked like her. My parents died when I was 15. I have been on my own for 2 years now. I went to my closet and stepped on the platform. "Esha what would you like to wear today," the closet said "Mustard yellow tank top and black jeans." Yes, I own 7 pairs of black jeans but they just go with everything. I put on my clothes then grab my jacket, and my backpack. I stopped at the front door. I looked at my desk. Before my mother left she gave me her father's blue amulet. She always said it was special, but I just couldn't wear it after she died. I took a deep breath three times.3 it's my favorite number. I walked slowly to the desk and opened the drawer. I stared at it for what felt like hours and picked it up. I put the amulet around my neck and felt a strange bit of power course through my body. I stood there shocked for a second but just decided to just to ignore it. I opened the closet next to my front door and pulled out my hoverboard. Here in Windbush hoverboards are banned. I just couldn't let go of mine, I love everything about. The long surfboard shaped of it makes it so easy to glide in the air. I got mine special made so in the daylight it was hard to see it as I flew by, and at night it would turn black. I hit a button on the back and it folded into the size of a textbook. It weighed a ton but I got used to it. I shoved it into my backpack. I rubbed the amulet three more times and headed out the door of my apartment. I waited fifteen minutes for the bus to arrive. I hate the bus I hate this city. Nothing exciting ever happens here, but I have a feeling in this big city there is something going on you just have to find it. I finally arrive at the library and find Mike already waiting for me with coffee. Mike has been my best friend since we were twelve. He's this skinny weak boy that looks like if the wind blew he would fall over and shatter into a million pieces. He hands me my coffee as we walked through the door of the library. I grabbed a copy of "Every Last Word" which I hid in the cooking books sections, and we sat in are usually spot. This has been our tradition since we were 7. I propped my bag on the table and it made a large tump on the table turning a few heads. I slowly sat down. "Why must you bring that thing everywhere," Mike said in a hushed voice while looking around making sure no one heard. "Why can't you be like the rest of us and gotten rid of it when they banned them." He said his eyes bulging out through his glasses. "Relax you worry about me too much I'm not going to get caught, and besides it feels good to be a little rebellious," I say as I laugh. "Well I'm not building you another one if they confiscated it so don't even think about it" he fixes his glasses and takes a sip of his coffee. After a while, he started going on and on about star wars so I told him I was going to walk around and find another book. I look through to Sci-fi section when I felt like someone was eyeing me. I turn the corner and there they were looking at me. Then all of a sudden my necklace began to glow. I quickly covered it with my hand and slipped into the history section where I knew no one came. I pressed up against the bookshelf and opened my hands. It was glowing brighter when all of a sudden a large hand slammed into the shelf next to my head.