Chapter 27

Wylerra, 100 years ago...

The Unforgiving. The Frost Coffin. The Ice God's Heart. The tundra, it went by many names but it was known for one thing. Death. But not just any death. A slow, agonizing and cold one. It was said that those who died there still felt the cold in their bones in the afterlife. The snow, ice and freezing gale winds were judge, jury, and executioner.

Death by Tundra's Embrace as a punishment was a peculiar thing. It sounded beautiful, poetic even, but it was cruel. And it was his fate.

The flags atop the outer wall's battlements flapped in the never-ending winds. The winds that said walls protected Wylerra's dwellers from. But criminals got no such luxury.

Shivers racked Aldeheid's body as the bitter cold sunk into his bones like the teeth of a wild beast. The vast expanse of snow and ice stretched before him, without a single spark of life to give him hope. A wall of guards separated him from the city's eastern gate. More were up on the parapet, ready to pounce at the slightest hint of danger. Baldavin's puppets... a testament to just how cowardly the King was.

A hand landed on Aldeheid's shoulder, one that had found its home there many times before. But this time it was not a friendly gesture.

"Take a good look, Aldeheid," the King said. "This will be your new home. Out there, you will only have the snow and ice as your company. They'll get along nicely with your insolence and recklessness." A burlap sack was thrown at his feet. "One week's rations is all you get. Pray for the ice god's mercy."

The hand left Aldeheid shoulder, and he clenched his jaw tight. With the threadbare clothing and soleless shoes he'd been given, it would be a miracle if he lasted until the next day. But such was the fate of a treasonous criminal.

"Wait." A voice cut through the frigid air – one that Aldeheid hadn't heard since the day he'd been branded. It was soothing and melodic like tinkling of wind chimes in the breeze, and it had lulled him to sleep many nights as a boy.

"Please," Iyari begged, despite the stony look Baldavin gave her. "At least heal him. He's suffered enough and has more yet to come." She rung her hands. "Baldavin please."

There was a long stretch of silence before the King said: "Very well. Jayer, heal him."

As Jayer stepped around Aldeheid to face him, he kept his eyes downcast. He took Aldeheid's arm and softly recited a healing spell. A low vibration hummed through his body as the healing spell did its work, and the pulsating pain radiating through his bruises dulled to a bearable throb.

But when Jayer looked up, his lip curled into a scowl. "At least now I don't have to find someone else to kill you." His voice was just loud enough for Aldeheid to hear him over the wind.

The words hit Aldeheid like a punch to the gut, and the residual shock rendered him speechless.

"I will say goodbye to him now." The Queen walked around Aldeheid to face him, but he refused to meet her eyes. She cupped his face and forced him to look at her. Her diamond-like eyes were red and puffy with sorrow. The usual pale serenity of her face was tinged with grey, and several lines marred its once smooth surface.

An aching settled in his chest, not because of his fate, but because of everyone else's. At least his suffering would eventually end, but they had to stay trapped with that monster. His chest burned and tears fell unimpeded from his eyes as it all came crashing down on him.

The Queen said nothing, only enveloped him in a crushing hug, holding on as though her arms alone could protect him from his fate.

"That's quite enough," Baldavin said.

Aldeheid didn't miss the scowl that tugged at her lips as she pulled away from him. He turned to take one last look at everyone, his eyes lingering on Jayer. He knew Jayer hated him to some degree, but the fact that he'd go so far as to have him killed. Not that it mattered now. Aldeheid was but a voiceless, homeless criminal.

"There's but one thing left to do," Baldavin said. He looked towards Wenry, and she scrambled behind the Queen's legs. "You, insolent child. Since Aldeheid values your life over his King's, you will be going with him."

After a moment of stunned silence, a brilliant flash lit up the morning. Jetei lunged to grab Wenry, but Jayer tackled him to the ground. "No! I won't let him do this!"

"Are you mad? He'll kill you if you interfere." Jayer grabbed his cape under the arms and dragged him away.

This is madness. Aldeheid swallowed the bile that was pooling in his mouth. He was silently wishing he'd taken the King's head instead of his hand, and rid this world of at least one monster.

"Don't you dare!" the Queen screamed at Baldavin. She scooped Wenry into her arms, holding her away from him, like a wild animal protecting her young. "She's just a child! She didn't do anything wrong."

The King only laughed. "You all seem to have forgotten who's King here. So let this be the last reminder I have to give you. Guards, escort this child out of the gates."

"No!" Iyari fought against the guards trying to pry a screaming Wenry from her grasp. But she was powerless to stop them. Two held her back while one dragged Wenry away.

Jetei broke free from the Jayer's hold and dashed towards the guards but didn't make it far. An unseen force slammed into him, and he flew into the metal gate. Jayer ran to his cape's side as he fell limp in the snow.

Aldeheid could only watch the mayhem from beyond the wall of guards that separated him from his family. Wenry was thrown at his feet but he caught her before she could fall. She clung to him, sobs racking her body and tears streaming down her face – looking just as helpless as he felt.

"There, Aldeheid." The King clapped his hands. "You protected her from me. Now let's see how well you can protect her from the tundra."

"You monster." Iyari lunged at him, but the guards had her by the arms. "I'll never forgive you for this."

Baldavin captured her chin between his thumb and forefinger. "Tell me, my Queen. Do you love them, more than you love me?"

She pulled away from him. "Aldeheid would've never been like you. I made sure of it."

"Congratulations. Now he'll be dead instead." He waved a hand towards the gate. "Guards, lock that garbage out of my city."

The bang of the gate echoed through the city and the tundra like a clarion call, letting the world know that they were outcasts. No longer wanted. No longer welcomed.

Aldeheid took Wenry's hand. She was still sobbing, albeit softly. He wanted to calm her, to tell her everything would be okay. But that lie refused to slip from his throat. The only thing that waited for them out in the tundra, was death.