Chapter 31

The Wylleran Tundra, 100 years ago...

Aldeheid had seen the storm long before it fell upon them, but that did nothing to prepare him for its fury. The arctic winds screamed their power, threatening to pick them up and toss them across the wastelands. Cold lashed at his skin like icy blades, cutting to the bone, and the frost coating his eyelids threatened to seal them shut.

Their only saving grace was the cave he'd spotted before the storm picked up. But he didn't know if they were going the right way or how far they were from it. All he could do was battle the wind and hope for the best.

Wenry clung to his back as he pushed through the haze of white. Each time the wind picked up a whimper would escape her lips and she’d squeeze him so tight, he could barely breathe.

But he had to keep going, had to keep pushing. Or they’d die. You’ll die anyway. The thought rang out in his head, clear as the morning bells from the ice gods’ temple.

And Aldeheid couldn't deny its truth. Even after four days of trekking, they were still a long way from the mountains. On top of that, they were running low on food, a the terrain was getting rougher by the day.

What started of as a flat expanse of nothingness had turned into a rocky death trap of cliffs, crevices and jagged outcroppings. ‘Twas no wonder the Tundra’s Embrace was known as the cruelest executioner.

Aldeheid could probably convince himself, in some roundabout way, that he deserved to die. That the cold axe of the tundra cleaving his head off was his destiny. But nothing and no one could convince him that Wenry deserved the same fate.

So the tundra could shout and lament, and lash at him like the whips he’d been beaten with. And he would shout back, he would fight back.

With that in mind, Aldeheid pushed through the freezing gale and in short order, he saw the dark outline of the cave's entrance. Relief and joy have him the strength to trudge faster. Once inside, he and Wenry huddled in the furthest corner, trying to get warm. The hard, frozen stone of the cave floor wasn’t helping on that front.

Aldeheid pressed a hand to his chest, where he’d stored his sunorb and his heart sank. It was barely giving off any warmth. He took a peek and saw it flickering like a torch in the breeze. It would die out soon, and in this weather, he’d freeze.

So much for fighting back.

“Al, I’m scared,” Wenry said with a whimper.

“I know b-b-b-but.” He clenched his jaw tight and took several breaths. “Right now I need you to be brave, alright? Like the dragons. Can you do that?”

She nodded and leaned against him. “When we find our new home, can we play Tactica?”

“Of course. As much as you’d like.” The lie stung his throat. He knew they weren’t getting out of this storm or the tundra alive. Well… at least not him. “Wenry, can you promise me something?”

“What?”

His chest burned as he thought of what he had to ask of her. “If anything happens to me, promise me you’ll keep walking.”

Wenry looked up at him with wide eyes. “You're leaving me? Did I do something wrong?”

“Of course n--”

She grabbed his arm and clung to it with fervent desperation, tears welling in her eyes. “I'll be gooder, I promise, Al.” She hiccuped.

“I just…” Aldeheid swallowed the lump forming in his throat. “It's not you, Wenry, it's me. I don't know what tomorrow will bring us, and I need you to be able to go without me.”