Chapter 29

Kitaya gave Aldeheid a playful nudge. "You two know each other? Well that saves me one introduction." Only silence followed her statement. And not the good kind. It was a heated silence that preempted disaster. She looked towards Jayer, frowning.

His eyes were as wide as saucers and his jaw slack, looking as though he'd seen a ghost. But there was something else in his gaze, a hint of fear, like this ghost had come to drag him to the afterlife with it. For as long as she'd known him, it was rare to see him surprised or fearful.

She shifted her eyes back to Aldeheid, but only caught a blur of movement, and a second later, he was tackling Jayer. They went crashing into a table of refreshments before tumbling across the floor towards the back of the room.

A ripple of shock stunned the room into stillness for a moment, But Kitaya was the first to run to part the fight. Aldeheid and Jayer were exchanging blows as they rolled across the floor.

"Aldeheid stop!" She tried to pull him away, but one bat of his hand sent her sailing across the room, arms and legs flailing. She crashed into a settee and tumbled to the ground, landing badly on her wrist.

"Kitaya!" Serecia was at her side a moment later.

"I'm alright." Kitaya used her good hand to push to her feet and ran outside in time to see both Aldeheid and Jayer disappear over the edge of the balcony. "Damn."

As she peeped over, she saw Jetei flash from cape form in time to take the brunt of the fall. They landed with a smack on the ground below, startling the magicians, capes and humans that were milling about. Aldeheid went one way, while Jayer and Jetei went another.

"Get down there," Gebarro said. "Create a distraction, and I will subdue him."

Kitaya jumped down first, and Ayzel landed beside her a moment later. They flanked Jayer, putting themselves at the center of the standoff.

"Aldeheid, listen, there's no need for this senseless violence." Lady Hiroh held her hands out in a placating gesture. "Please, I'm sure we can talk things through."

Aldeheid drew his sword, the white flecks in dark blue blade catching the sunlight. His brows were two angry slashes over his eyes and his lips twisted into a scowl. "I'm done talking."

Kitaya drew her dagger, preparing for the worst. She didn't like the look in his eyes. They carried the murderous glint of single-minded rage that sent a chill down her spine. And they weren't looking so angelic anymore. What was worse was that she didn't know what had brought this on, so she wasn't sure how to talk him down.

Lady Hiroh was far superior in matters of diplomacy, but it seemed even she was unsure of how to deescalate the situation.

"Get out of my way," Aldeheid warned as he charged forward. He only made two steps before a stone snake shot from the ground and captured his leg. Another rose up and wrapped around his arm, hold him back.

"Jayer, take Jetei and get out of here!" Lady Hiroh yelled.

"No you don't." Aldeheid strained against the bonds and broke free with explosive power, sending shards of earth every which way. He lunged forward, and Kitaya moved to intercept him.

A blur appeared in her peripheral, followed by the crash of metal on metal. Sparks flew, and she threw an arm in front of her face as she stumbled back.

Leandyr and Aldeheid stared at each other through their crossed blades, the tension in the air growing to a thick and suffocating degree.

"What in damnation is your problem?" Leandyr growled.

"Right now it's you. You're in my way." Aldeheid leaned into the attack, and Leandyr did the same to compensate.

Kitaya took Lady Hiroh's sword from its sheath with her free hand. "I need to borrow this." She'd had just about enough of this nonsense. "Leandyr let him go."