The Heart Chooses {4}

“Hey Marky,” I greeted, jumping next to him.

                “Hi Shaw. What happened yesterday? Did you and Chandler leave school together?” he asked with a frown.

                “Yea! We left school, went to my house, Chandler told me a sob story, we made out on my bed, Chandler freaked out and left. The usual,” I said with a shrug.

                Mark’s eyes widened. “You made out with Chandler Martin?!” he asked, trying to keep his voice low.

                I nodded. “Yes. And apparently, I was bad at it. Like I said, he freaked out and left,” I said with a sigh. Why had I made out with Chandler? Gah. Way to go Shaw. You idiot.

                Maxx came over and, to my surprise, pretty much ignored Mark. His eyes locked on mine and he frowned deeply.

                “What happened with you and Chandler yesterday? His mom called me all freaked out. She called me and said he was limping, his cheek was bruised, he had skipped school, and he was really upset. He wouldn’t talk to her or his dad. That’s not like Chandler. He never lets his parents see him injured. He always finds a way to cover it up or a lie. What happened?” he demanded.

                I glanced at Mark and shrugged. “Nothing happened,” I lied casually. If Chandler wanted Maxx to know, than Chandler could tell Maxx.

                Maxx glared at me. “Shaw, what if something was wrong with Mark, and I knew but wouldn’t tell you. How pissed would you be?”

                I frowned deeply. “Dammit Mark,” I whined, pouting at him.

                “I didn’t do anything!” he whined right back.

                Maxx glared at me harder. “Shaw, something is wrong with my best friend. I know how protective you are of Mark, and I need you to understand that I’m the same way about Chandler. I need to know what’s wrong with him,” he said, trying to keep his patience with me.

                I sighed deeply. “Maxx, it’s not my business. It’s Chandler’s business. If he wants you to know, you’ll know,” I said quietly.

                Maxx opened his mouth but snapped it shut again. Frustration exploded on his face, but he gave me a look that said he knew I was right.

                He took Mark’s hand in his and squeezed it. “Fine. But if he won’t tell me, you will. Chandler does stupid shit when he gets like this,” he said before turning and pulling Mark away.

                I stared after them and sighed again. I would drop by Chandler’s house afterschool and see what was wrong with him.

                The end of the day came, and I walked my way to Chandler’s house. I rang the doorbell and waited until his mom answered.

                “Oh! Shaw. Hello,” she greeted with a polite smile. She stepped aside and let me into the house.

                She chewed on her lip nervously as I slipped my shoes off. “Shaw, do you know why Chandler is upset? Did someone at school hurt him?” she asked in concern.

                I shook my head. “No, I don’t,” I said with a deep frown. I hated lying to Mrs. Martin like this. She was just a concerned mother. But it wasn’t my business to tell. Chandler obviously didn’t want his parents to know.