Chapter Nine

“Mae govannen,” Amaruil murmured as Arwen sat down beside her, her back against the tree as they gazed out over the forest which was blossoming into a sea of gold as the flowers erupted from the branches of the mallorn trees.

“My father thinks that we should return to Imladris,” Arwen said. “He thinks that the lands to the east are becoming too dangerous; he fears that soon they will all fall under the shadow of Sauron.”

“And you?” Amaruil asked.

“I am inclined to believe him,” Arwen admitted. “I hear news of his spies every day, and not a day goes by that Oroduin does not erupt into flame and fire, poisoning the air like Sauron poisons the land. If we delay our return too long I fear that we may not make it across the Chithaeglir and to be trapped here as Sauron gains power… it does not bear thinking about.”

“Sauron’s arm is long Arwen; the Mountains will not protect us for long.”

“No but they may delay our ruin. Also, in this time of danger and fear I would prefer to be with my family, and I am certain that you will agree.”

Amaruil thought of her family and her home in Imladris and agreed; it had been far too long since the last time that she had been there, for she had stayed in Lothlórien with Arwen for nigh on thirty years and had not returned home in that time. “Merely to delay our ruin… I would rather die than live just to see more evil spread.”

“Perhaps the Mountains will delay Sauron just long enough for us to defeat him,” Arwen interrupted.

“Tancave,” Amaruil whispered, “let us hope that that happens. It is true, however, that I have desired our return to Rivendell for a while, and it would please me greatly if we were to go back to Imladris.”

“Then it is settled; we will take our leave of the Lady Galadriel and return home,” Arwen said with a radiant smile.

***************************************************************************

Arwen looked out over the golden forests of Lórien and smiled, inhaling deeply as the sweet fragrance of the flowers of the mallorn trees floated on the air. “It is good to be free again, is it not?” she asked.

“We were always free,” said Amaruil.

“Then it is good to be on horseback again, for nothing quite offers the freedom of a horse.”

“You speak the truth now,” Amaruil laughed.

“It is also freeing to leave behind so many memories,” Arwen said pointedly, “though they be both good and bad. Now we leave all behind us and give ourselves over to the journey.”

“And a difficult journey at that,” Amaruil said as they rode off.

They progressed slower than they had before, stopping to check for orcs at every crossing and every haunt of creatures of Sauron known to them, yet galloping as fast as they could when they knew that they were safe. The elves that they travelled with were reluctant to rest for long in case they were ambushed and their nights were fraught with care and worries as they tried to draw as little attention to themselves as possible.

Their caution did, however, pay off and they made it through the lands and through the pass without being attacked by orcs, emerging safe on the other side.

“Le hannon,” Arwen had to the elves who had accompanied them, when they had argued that they could not possibly allow the two women to travel the pass alone in such dangerous times. “You may return to Caras Galadhon now.”

They had given in eventually. “Safe travels to you both Arwen Undómiel and Amaruil Celebrindal; cuio vae,” they said as they turned to leave.

“And to you; cuio vae,” the friends replied before starting their journey through the mountain pass. When they reached the other side, they were glad to mount the horses which had been brought for them and head back towards Rivendell.