14- The Tree Looks Demented

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

They all go by excruciatingly slow. I feel like we’re moving in negative time so every hour that goes by, I’m actually getting farther away from the weekend than getting closer to it. And every day is the same too, there’s nothing exciting that happens at all.

I wake up and go to school. The car ride with Lake is mostly quiet but sometimes he’ll say something or I’ll speak up but it’s all just small talk. There’s no fighting or arguments at all, just normal conversations that normal people have. When I get to school, I experience even more small talk with Leda. We talk more and more each day and when Friday arrives, we’re back to normal after what happened on Monday.

In physics, Becky doesn’t talk to me anymore either, which is a relief for me. I mean, she’s nice and all, but the only thing that she talks about to me is Lake and although we’re not fighting too much anymore doesn’t mean that I want to have a conversation about him or anything.

At lunch, everything is the same. I sit with Leda and Lake like I always do and it’s pretty tolerable since I’m not fighting with Lake with every word I say and I’m not so mad at Leda anymore. Lunch is actually easier than it’s ever been now that me and Lake have made a silent agreement to not fight anymore. Things are a lot more peaceful at the house as well since we’ve seemed to adopt the policy “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything” because we haven’t had an argument all week. It’s a lot less stressful than having to think of angry comebacks all of the time and worrying about the next terrible prank that he’s going to pull or something. Thankfully, he hasn’t mentioned the kiss at all either which is tremendously appreciated as well.

After school on Friday, I decide to spend the evening in my art studio since it’s been a while since I’ve painted anything and with the week that I’ve had, I need something to calm my mind. It took forever for the weekend to arrive so I really need to enjoy it before it disappears again. On the bright side, there’s only about two and a half months left of school and then I graduate and I don’t ever have to go back. Granted, I still have college after high school but I’m not going to think about that part for right now. I just need to get through these last few months of high school.

Max stays in his room while I’m in the studio so I’m alone as I blast my radio and pull out a blank canvas as I prepare my paints. I’m not sure what I’m going to paint yet but I figure that I’ll just figure it out as I go.

Before I open any of the paint or brushes, I hurry back into my room and change into an old t-shirt and short shorts that are already covered in paint. I use them to pain with so that I don’t ruin anymore clothes with paint so they’re very colorful with dried drops and splotches of color. I tie my hair up in a blonde messy bun so that I don’t get any paint in my hair and then I make my way back to the studio that’s just down the hall.

My right shoulder bumps into something soft as I’m on my way to the studio and I look up to see Lake coming around the corner, probably heading for his room coming from downstairs.

“Sorry,” I say in a chirpy voice quickly before stepping into the studio.

“You seem like you’re in a good mood,” Lake comments, peeking his head in the doorway.

“It’s just been a long week,” I explain with a sigh, picking up one of my favorite brushes and choosing my first color. “I’m just glad that it’s over.”

“It has been a long week,” He agrees with a nod. “What’re you going to paint?”

I shrug and choose a dark purple because that’s my favorite color. “I don’t know yet.”