Chapter Four-"I'll Never Leave You."

I was chewing on some mint leaves for breakfast when I caught a whiff of a delicious smell. The smell invaded my nostrils immediately. I looked up and saw everyone else eating bacon. Where had they gotten pigs from? I was curious so I jogged over to see. "Aris, where did you guys get pork meat from? I haven't seen any animals near us." I asked Aris. I reached onto the small bowl and secretly stashed some in the pockets of my jeans. "Remember when you got food poisoning? You were out for two days. We explored beyond the mountains and found dozens of animals and lumber." Aris responded, like it was obvious. I sat down between Aris and Harriet, but Sonya was stuck sitting next to Gally. He was trying to flirt with her, but Gally's attempts were pathetic. "Poor Sonya. He's trying to feed her bacon." Harriet laughed. We saw everyone else by the shore, talking, laughing, having a good time. At last, we found our Safe Haven. "All right, everyone listen up!" It was Vince. He was standing on top of some rocks. "We're gonna be here for the rest of our lives. Might as well be useful. You are going to have a job. You can either cook, sew pillows, clothes, and hammocks, gather crops, build, hunt, or explore beyond where we are now. We aren't going to take any freeloaders." Vince explained. It's just like the Maze. We all have our own jobs. I already know what I want to do. I want to explore. I am used to walking and running long distances, because of the Scorch and the Maze. "Which job are you guys going to do?" I asked Harriet, Aris, and Sonya. "I don't know. I might hunt or build. It's what I'm the best at." Replied Sonya. "I want to explore." I said, but got interrupted by Gally. "Wow. You're just like Thomas. Full of curiosity. I guess it really is meant to be with you two." Laughed Gally. "Hush, Gally." I Replied, gritting my teeth. Was it really that obvious? I saw someone carrying some bread rolls and a yellow spread. It looked familiar, but I couldn't think of the name of the strange substance. I furrowed my brows when someone grabbed a knife and started to spread it on the bread. I got up and quickly walked over. The grabbed a knife and got some bread. I spread the substance on the bread and sniffed it. My nostrils flared at the smell. It smelled better than the bacon. I stuffed it in my mouth and the flavor of the creamy spread exploded in my mouth like a time bomb. I looked up from my bread feast and saw a figure with big brown eyes and messy brunette hair staring at me. He was wearing a blue T-shirt and some faded jeans. My eyes met his. It was Thomas. "Did you like your little butter feast?" Thomas asked, with a smirk tugging on the corner of his lips. So that's what that yellow spread was called. I simply chuckled in reply. "When are we going to start doing the jobs?" I asked. I already wanted to start exploring. "Right now. Get ready or we'll leave without you." Thomas said casually. He then proceeded to gently brush my hair out of my face. "I'm kidding. You know I am. I'll never leave you." Said Thomas. "I know you won't." I smiled. He was already running off. I caught up and walked by his side. I closed my eyes and gripped on to his hand. But I didn't need to have my eyes open to know he was smiling.