Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Shaw

       I was really getting annoyed with my three kids, which didn't happen often. I always tried to be as patient with them as I could, despite not being able to control my anger at times. Most of the time, I was able to stay calm.

       Unfortunately, today was one of the days I was completely impatient with them.

       "You three better be getting ready to go!" I called up the stairs, hoping they were actually packing up their things.

       I should have known better.

       All three of them came down the stairs, carrying absolutely nothing. "Uh, where are your bags?" I asked.

       "Upstairs, duh," Mercy said.

       "Okay, seriously, go grab your bags so I can take you to your mom's house," I said. "If I bring you there late again, she's going to get really mad at me and I don't have time to deal with it."

       "We're not going," Lucian said as they walked over to the living room and sat down on the couch. "This is  a silent protest."

       "And what exactly are you protesting?" I asked.

       "Not going back to Mom's," Mercy said. "We don't like Hugh. We would rather stay here with you."

       "Yeah, one time Hugh got mad at me because I didn't do my homework right away," Lucian said. "And he said I couldn't play video games for a week. I always did my homework after dinner and Mom was fine with it."

       "Until she started dating Hugh," Mercy said with a scowl, crossing her arms over her chest.

       I sighed and walked over, sitting on the couch as well. "Trust me, I don't like Hugh as well, but your mother must love him a lot. And I know it's not easy getting used to your mother with someone else but Hugh is a part of our lives now. The more you three resist, the harder it will be."

       "Why can't we stay here and see them on the weekends?" Castiel asked. "It was like that before. Why did it have to change?"

       "Because I had some things to deal with," I said. "I still do. Believe me, I want you three to stay here more but it's not up to me."

       "It should be up to us," Mercy muttered.

       I really wanted to agree with her. A lot of the time in custody battles, nobody thought about what the kids wanted. If going with either their mom or dad was both a good thing, why couldn't it be up to the kids where they stay?

       "I'll try talking to her," I said. "See if she'll let you three come over here more often. Maybe every weekend instead of every other weekend. But I can't do anything about it right now so I really need you to get your things so I can take you to your mom's. I'll even talk to her when we get there."

       They hesitated but eventually went upstairs and got their bags before coming back down the stairs. I really didn't want them to leave so I really hoped Kendra would be willing to listen to me about letting them stay more.

       We left my house and I walked them to Kendra's. Unfortunately, Hugh was the one who answered the door. "There you three are!" he said with a smile I really wanted to wipe off his slimy face. "I was starting to wonder when you were going to come. I have prepared a special lunch for you three in the kitchen, so come on in."

       Before they went inside, they all gave me a tight hug. I hated seeing them go inside when they hated being around Hugh.

       Hugh was about to head inside himself but I quickly stopped him. "Can I talk to Kendra?"