Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Shaw

       "Holden, can you please talk to me?" I asked, feeling very worried that he was only going to stay mad at me this whole time. It was very hard for him to get mad at me so when he was, I knew I definitely screwed up.

       In fact, I didn't even remember the last he was mad at me.

       Holden, however, was still ignoring me as he threw some clothes into the washing machine. He didn't even look at me at all.

       "Holden, please," I begged. "Please don't be mad at me."

       "Don't be mad at you?" Holden asked, finally looking away from the washing machine and at me. He then grabbed one of the shirts he just threw in the wash and held it up for me to see. "Look it all the blood on this shirt, Shaw."

       "I really didn't mean for it to happen," I said.

       "But it did happen," Holden said, throwing the shirt back in the wash before closing the door and standing up to face me. "You finally got the kids back because Kendra feels like they'll be safer here and what do you do? You go out drinking."

       "I didn't know what else to do!"

       "You didn't know what else... For what?!"

       "To stop this guilt inside of me! Kendra is my best friend and I hurt her so much in the past! And she has to go through it again! If I didn't do what I did, I wouldn't have torn down her strong and independent personality and she wouldn't have taken Hugh back! I didn't know how to stop this guilt!"

       "Then talk to me. Talk to my parents. Your dad. Heidi. Anyone. You didn't even try to talk it out. You just turned straight to alcohol. You blanked out and don't even know who you got into a fight with or how badly you hurt them. It won't be long before the police come here to arrest you for assault. How do you think the kids are going to feel to see their dad being taken away?"

       "I'm sorry," I said.

       "It's not me you have to apologize to," Holden said. "You better hope the person you got into a fight to threw the first punch and won't press charges because they're afraid they will be charged too."

       I sighed and lowered my head. "I know. And I do have to apologize to you. Because I promised that I wouldn't drink again but of course, I stupidly decided to. Just... Please don't give up on me."

       "Shaw, I could never give up on you," Holden said. "Yeah, I am a bit upset that you didn't even try talking to me, or anyone, first but... I can't stay mad at you. I have no idea what it's like to be a recovering alcoholic and to just crave alcohol at times. But if you want me to not give up on you, then you can't give up on yourself, okay?"

       I nodded. "Yeah, okay."

       "Hey," Holden said softly, resting his hand on my cheek and making me look at him. "I love you so much, Shaw, and I never want you to suffer inside. I'll always be willing to listen to any of your problems, even if I don't know how to give you advice."

       I couldn't help but smile at him. "I know. And that's what makes you the best husband ever. And I'm sorry. Again. But this time for yelling at you."

       "It's okay," Holden said. "I'm sorry for yelling back."

       "You barely yelled at me," I said.

       "I still did. And I feel bad."

       I chuckled. "You're cute." I pulled him in for a kiss and then a hug. However, one he wrapped his arms around me, I felt a stinging feeling near the back of my shoulder so I winced and gently pushed him away.

       "What's wrong?" Holden asked.

       "The back of my shoulder stings a bit," I said.

       "Here, I'll check it out," Holden said, turning me around and lifting my shirt over my head. "Oh... Wow."

       "What is it?" I asked.

       "Well, I have an idea of who you got into a fight with," he said. "Because I can't think of anyone else who walks through the village with a knife."

       I furrow my eyebrows. "What?"

       "It's a long cut from a knife," Holden said, gently running his fingers across it. "It's not deep, though, so the bleeding stopped a long time ago."

       "Are you saying I got into a fight with the serial killer?" I asked.

       "Well, I wouldn't call them a serial killer quite yet," Holden said. "More of a serial attacker because, well, they suck at killing people."

       "Yeah, don't jinx it," I said. "Does the cut have to be cleaned?"

       "I say so, just to be safe," Holden said.

       Before we went to the washroom so Holden could clean the wound, he started up the load in the wash. We got to the washroom and Holden grabbed the first aid kit, taking out the contents he would need.

       "I hate saying this, but it's actually a good thing it was the serial attacker you got in a fight with and not some random person," Holden said as he started cleaning the wound, which was making it sting a lot more. "Or worse. Hugh."

       "Uh, how is it a good thing?" I asked. "And we're not even certain it was the serial attacker."

       "You're right, but like I said, I don't know of anyone else who would walk through the village with a knife," Holden said. "It's a high possibility."

       "Okay, true, but again, how is it a good thing?"

       "You won't be arrested for the assault. Whoever it is won't go to the police since they're, you know, the person who tried killing me, Horatio, Calvin, and Jane. And now you."

       "Yeah, I guess it's a good thing." I then sighed. "Too bad I don't remember it. Maybe I saw something that could have given it away. Even something as simple as knowing if they're a girl or a boy." Something then struck me. "Holden, what if they're going after you?"

       "What do you mean?"

       "The attacks. They all relate to you. First you. Then Horatio, but that was to get him off the case. And then Calvin, your cousin. And then Jane, your best friend. And now me. Your husband. And they haven't been able to actually kill any of us."

       Holden stopped cleaning the wound and was silent for a bit before saying, "But I don't have any enemies. I literally don't talk to anyone outside of my family. Well, except for Jane and Charles. He's our friend from boarding school that moved here recently."

       "...How recently?"

       "Shaw, no," Holden said. "I know what you're insinuating and no. No way. Charles isn't capable of hurting anyone. Literally. He has a fear of blood."

       I sighed. "Sorry for thinking otherwise."

       "Don't apologize," Holden said. "You're just trying to think of all the possibilities. I don't blame you. There has to be some other connection to the attacks than just me. Because, and I'm not trying to brag or anything, who would want to hurt me?"

       "I have no idea," I said.

________________

guess charles is on the list of precious cinnamon rolls i love him and i cant wait to have him in more.

and here's to another short author's note because its 1 am and i should sleep becaue i have a lot of adulting to do when i wake up so okey byeeeeee

ps. any new guesses for the (fail of a) serial killer???? here's a hint: jk jk you dont get hints in spruceworth