Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Shaw

       Holden and I contacted Horatio, Calvin, and Letizia to see if they all received the same type of letters we did. They did. It was clear it was some type of puzzle, so they were all going to come over with what they got to see what it meant.

       Letizia was the only one not coming since she was still in the hospital. She actually received the envelope while she was napping and Ender was out getting something to eat, and that made me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. The killer was able to sneak into the room to place the envelope beside her bed for when she woke up. Nobody saw who went in there.

       They could have hurt her right then and there.

       Ender came over in her place and I could tell he was quite angry right now. I didn't blame him.

       Once Horatio, Calvin, and Ender arrived, we all sat down at the dining room table and placed the pieces of paper down. Ender looked over at all of them and said, "This makes no sense," he said. "Those who, will, their, pay? Are they trying to just screw with our minds? Because it's working."

       Holden was sitting in the living room with Gibson, but he was listening in on the conversation and once he heard what the words were, he got up and walked over. "That's it? Those don't even form a full sentence."

       "We aren't missing anyone, are we?" Calvin asked.

       "We're not," Horatio said. "Not including mine, there has only been four reports of attacks."

       Then why didn't the killer give us victims enough words to finish the sentence?

       "Wait a second..." Holden said. "Jane."

       "Who's Jane?" Ender asked.

       "My best friend," Holden said. "She was attacked too. Well, sort of. I saw the person about to attack her so I was able to stop it, but we never reported it because nothing really happened. The attacker just took off when I showed up. I'll call to see if she got one too."

       He walked away to talk the call and while he did, Calvin looked at Ender. "How is your sister doing?"

       "I think she's doing better," Ender said. "She was freaked out when she saw the envelope because it meant the killer was in her hospital room while she was sleeping, but she's better now that the love of her life is with her."

       "You're still on that?" I asked.

       "I'm never leaving it, Shaw. They're meant to be. When I called him to see if he could stay with Letizia while I come here, he agreed right away and showed up as quick as he could. Anyone can see they're in love."

       "I agree," Calvin said.

       "Do you even know who I'm talking about?" Ender asked.

       "Of course I do," Calvin said. "I'm the eye of Spruceworth. I see and know mostly anything, and I'm only saying mostly because apparently, I don't know anything when it comes to crimes being committed. Anyway, I especially know everything if it has to do with my cousin. I know Julian quite well and I can tell he's in love."

       "Fair enough."

       Holden soon walked back over. "Jane got one too. She's on her way over."

       Jane showed up soon enough, with Charles as well. "Escaped," she said, placing the piece of paper on the table. "That's the word I received. What are the others?"