Part ONE

PART 1

luke's pov

"Hey man, did you ever consider getting a drummer?" Calum asked. Both his elbows were on the table and his hands were supporting his head as if he just got out of bed (because he did).

I shrugged, my eyes lazily focused on the cafeteria's breakfast food. I think it was a poptart? Or a waffle? I had only just begun to question when I felt someone pass behind me and towards another table. I caught a whiff of their scent and mindlessly smiled. Apples. 

"Apples?" Michael chuckled, sitting down next to Calum. He had dyed his hair yet another shade of pink over the weekend which contradicted his browning eyebrows.

I shook my head, "I smelled apples." 

The boys were laughing over my outburst and I sneaked a peek at the apple-scented shampoo that passed by. She was sitting with a group of three or four girls at the back of the room. I sucked in my breath and almost coughed when she made eye contact with me. 

A split second we maintained eye contact, blue to blue. I caught her smile but look back at her friends. Me, I was too shocked to breathe much less smile back. I bit on my lip and remembered I had a piercing when I had felt the pain seep into my veins. 

I hissed and turned back before she could realize that I was staring. I quickly adjusted the ring through my lip and continued to poison myself with a half-cooked waffle. 

Michael and Calum were still laughing.

-----

The day had gone by without another glance at the pretty girl. I haven't seen her before and I was almost sure she was older than me. I wanted to make a good impression, however, I wasn't very good with first impressions.

It was hard enough for me to start conversations with people, it would be a hell of a lot harder to talk to a pretty girl. 

After waving Michael and Calum off as they got into Michael's mom's mini van, I had to retrieve the book for Ms. Larson's class from the library. Michael rolled down the passenger seat window and yelled, "Nerd!" as his mom drove them away. 

"Michael Gordon!" I heard his mom start a lecture as he stared out the window at me and rolled it up as if I had done something to get him into that situation. Through the tinted windows, I could see Calum cracking himself up in the back seat. 

The school was almost deserted when I stalked back into the library. The librarian who usually wore a clean smile was beaten down and frowning. When the doors opened and I walked through she rolled her eyes.

"You have ten minutes before I lock up so find your shit and leave," she growled before muttering something along the lines of "punk ass freshmen don't know when their day is over then so is mine. fuc--"

I had quick walked to the back of the library where the chemistry books were and scanned the shelf for the one my teacher issued me. I had thought that it was only the librarian and I in the library when I heard whispers from behind the World History shelves. They were faint and feminine which only interested me further. So I grabbed a book and silently walked toward the voices.

"Ohmygod, did you read 'Perks' yet?" a girlish giggle followed.

"Ohmygod, yeah! Like three months ago!" another girl flaunted. "It's so good."

They had passed by the shelves I was between and I didn't get a glance at them. They were whispering enthusiastically when they passed me but I only caught a whiff of... apple shampoo. 

I flashed back to this morning when I first smelled the apple-scented, mini-skirt-wearing, pretty girl that passed me in breakfast this morning. Again, the same reaction followed her scent, my throat tightened and my cheeks were flushed.

"I would love a boy to develop a mental illness, just because of me!" girl one squealed.

"I don't know about that, Cheyenne. I would really like it if a boy sent me mixtapes like Charlie did." pretty girl cooed, "It's like a heartfelt letter through music!" Both girls swooned over the thought. I smiled to myself as I approached the front desk. 

As she checked out my book, I took a quick mental scan of the songs on my iPod. I was lost in my thoughts when the librarian huffed and pushed the book towards me. 

"Okay, you have your book, so get out of here, nerd."

-----

(( special thanks to @unsuccessful for auctioning off her story idea to me though i'm equally as awful as edgar allen poe um (bc he wrote pretty depressing stuff man) ok ))