Part TEN

Part 10

luke's pov.

I walked into school with a smile on my face. I've never walked into school with a smile on my face. I've never felt this happy before. I've never felt like actually looking people in the eye today and smiling at them. There was just something about today that made me anxious, you know, in a good way.

I was about to enter the cafeteria and approach Natalie's sister's table when Calum caught me by the arm. He dragged me outside again and faced me away from the cafeteria. "Hey, what's up?" I was almost scared when he grabbed me so suddenly.

"You cannot talk to Nat's sister, okay?" he reprimanded, wagging a finger and pushing me against the wall with his other hand.

"Why not?" I retorted with a slight whine and angry-confusion in my voice.

"Y-You just can't okay? It's not good, I promise you. Just get over her okay? J-Just forget about her and ask out Natalie, okay?" Calum said, he looked more scared than I had been before.

"Just tell me, what happened. Did she get in a fight or something? Did she change her clothes? Honestly, I'll be fine, Cal." I reassured him. Still, when I tried to walk away, he pressed me against the wall, refusing to let me inside. "Seriously, what's going on?"

"Trust me, Luke." he looked me in the eyes and said this. It was terrifying to see Calum so scared for me. "Just, don't blame Natalie or something. Keep your mind open."

"Why would I blame Natalie?" I asked, even more puzzled than before.

"You wouldn't because it's not her fault, okay?" Calum confirmed, completely ignoring the point of my question.

"What did she do? What did Natalie do?!" I asked, almost yelling. "Did she tell her sister bad stuff about me?! I swear, when I see her--"

"You don't, Luke. You will not." Calum said, understanding my sentence before I finished it. "Just try to get over her sister, okay?"

I shook my head, "I'm going to ask Nat what's going on if you're not going to tell me." I finally broke away from his grip when the bell rang for class. Everyone was flooding out of the cafeteria when I finally saw Natalie's sister. I started walking up to her to get her attention. I just made a new CD for her.

She was talking to someone, pulling on their arm out of the cafeteria. I was still smiling, gripping the CD in my hand as people walked by. I could hear my name being called but I ignored it. I've waited too long to give this to her. It's the final CD before I ask her out.

She was laughing and urging them to come out by pulling on their arm. I was still standing there, waiting for her attention. Someone was still calling out my name, I assumed it was Calum and ignored it.

She pulled them forcefully and now I could see him. She pulled him in and their faces got really close. My breath got caught in my throat. I was still standing there, gripping the CD. Someone was still calling my name and I still ignored it.

They both smiled at each other with their eyes. She was the one to pull him close and connect their lips. I was the one heartbroken with a stupid mix CD in my hand, watching them kiss, as whoever was calling my name earlier had stopped calling for me. 

I couldn't look at them any longer but still I stared and felt my heart shrink a couple sizes before they pulled back from each other and walk away. My eyes followed them as they walked across campus together. My eyes found Natalie's pained ones. Suddenly, everything made sense.

Calum was only telling me not to blame Nat because it really was her fault. She probably set them up because she liked me. Wow, I can't believe I didn't see it coming. She was just using Michael and her sister to get close to me. I feel so stupid.