Ch 5. We All Fall Down

Lyrics @ the end belong w/ the attached song .  I hope this all makes sense to everyone. It's a bit jumbled, but I hope it comes out right.   There will be an epilogue posted in a bit just to finish it up.

_____________________

Scott stood in front of the building. 

He'd been a mixture of surprised, horrified and relieved to find that it had been real all along. He didn’t really want to stop and think about whether or not he had actually lost his mind. 

There were more pressing matters.

He’d tried to call Mitch but it simply said the number was not in service. None of his text messages went through. 

Mitch just had to be inside. Why, he didn’t know, but he was desperate. He had to try.

The door stuck a bit, but he managed to get it open. The inside smelled like nothing he could remotely identify, it was nothing close to pleasant. He wondered what the hell was in here, what the hell had happened. 

Why had Mitch used this as his address?

He maneuvered around the debris carefully. 

“Mitch?” 

He called out a few times, but there was no answer.

He had an eerie feeling about this place. A moment of déjà vu. 

Leave.

“No. Not until I find him”

He’s gone. Let him go.

“NO” 

He was suddenly angry. How could Mitch have done this to him. How could he have left him with nothing, no way to find him and no way to try and fix things. How could he have left him nearly hopeless. 

Something about this place…

He blinked as he saw movement from the corner of his eye but when he turned to see what it was, there was nothing. 

He hugged himself slightly as he kept moving. He moved some debris from his path as he walked down a hallway. He headed directly to the main bedroom almost as if something was pulling him towards it. 

He stood in the doorway and looked inside. The room seemed to flicker, almost like an unstable home movie. He looked at the bed and suddenly he could see it…he could see the fire. He could hear the scream, feel the hurt, the fear… he could feel the heat.

He scrambled backwards out of the room suddenly terrified. He ran towards the exit, but he tripped over what used to be a picture frame, the picture burnt beyond recognition, and he fell to his knees. 

The foundation of the house shook. He could hear cracking above his head as he got to his feet. 

He didn’t move.  He stood there, waiting for something to happen, but it didn’t. The cracking sound stopped for the moment. 

“Why are you here?” 

He spun around at the sound of Mitch’s voice. There he was standing in the entrance to the hallway he‘d just come from.

He looked even more sick than he had in the office. Where had he come from? 

“You can’t be here.” Mitch looked at him with a sad look. 

“Why are YOU here? Come with me. You can’t possibly live here. It isn’t safe.” 

“No. It isn’t safe, which is why you have to leave.”