Chapter Two

Chapter Two: Agni Kai

Makki |~|

I opened my eyes to find myself in an unfamiliar room, full of red drapes and Fire Nation decorations. I gasped and jumped a bit, forgetting where I was, then I remember the events of yesterday. I keep forgetting I'm on a Fire Navy ship only because I keep convincing myself that it's just a bad dream.

At least I'm in a room and not a cell.

I stood up and walked cautiously out of the room, wanting to explore. I quietly walked through the hallways of the ship and made my way to the deck. There, I saw Fire Nation soldiers keeping watch for anything suspicious. I flinched when I saw them,  a little startled at their presence.

"No need to be afraid."

I jumped at the voice that came from beside. I turned to my right to see the round man from before, sitting at a small round table, sipping at a small cup of tea. He was smiling at me and had a calming, old voice.

"Tea?" he offered as he poured a cup.

I silently nodded and took a seat at the table as I took the cup. I blew on the steam coming from the cup to try and cool the tea.

"So, what is your name?" he asked me.

"Makki," I answered.

"Hmm," he smiled. "My name is Iroh. It's nice to meet you."

"Uh, yeah..." I drawled.

I took a small sip of my tea.

"Uncle!" the leader of the ship came up to the deck. "What is our prisoner doing out of her cell?"

"Can't you see we're enjoying some tea together?" Iroh smiled.

The leader growled, "I want her in her cell! She could be dangerous! She's a water bender, and, if you haven't noticed already Uncle, we are surrounded by water!"

"And if you haven't noticed, Nephew, there is nowhere for her to go except in the water. Attacking us would be pointless," Iroh explained.

He's right. I didn't have any intention of attacking them, and if I did, I would be stuck in the middle of a freezing ocean.

The leader only growled before turning around and walking back under the deck. But before he left he said, "We're docking soon to get repairs. I don't want to stay long or have anyone find out that we found the Avatar. No one can know that he's still alive."

"You'll have to excuse my nephew," Iroh sighed. "He doesn't always use his head."

Iroh smiled widely as if waiting for me to laugh at a joke he just told. If that was a joke, I wouldn't be comfortable laughing at it in case his nephew was nearby. Iroh's smile faded as he took another sip of his tea.

"I... have a question," I said.

Iroh looked at me as if giving permission for me to speak.

"Why is your nephew so obsessed with finding the Avatar? I understand that the Avatar could cause the Fire Nation to lose the war, but everyone believed that the cycle was broken for years and that the Avatar would not return," I said.

Iroh sighed, "You see, Prince Zuko believes that the only way for him to return to the Fire Nation is to capture the Avatar."

Prince Zuko?

"Prince?" I asked.

"Do you not know of the royal family of the Fire Nation?" Iroh asked me.

I shook my head, "We have almost no connection to the rest of the world in the South Pole. That small tribe you saw was all that was left of our population. Since the Fire Nation started the war, all our men went to fight and left the women and children to stay safe in the tribe."