Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight: Music Night

Makki |~|

Currently, I was watching Iroh and some of the crew members play Pai Sho while Prince Zuko discussed our course with the Lieutenant. There hasn't been a lot of activity lately so watching Pai Sho was really the only thing to cure my boredom; and I really mean boredom because I still don't understand how to play Pai Sho.

"We haven't been able to pick up the Avatar's trail since the storm," the Lieutenant explained to Prince Zuko. "But if we continue heading northeast--"

A large ship suddenly cast a shadow over our ship, catching everyone's attention.

"What do they want?" Prince Zuko asked.

"Perhaps a sporting game of Pai Sho," Iroh smiled.

Soon, the two ships joined together to allow soldiers from the other ship to board ours. From there, the soldiers entered the cockpit to speak to Prince Zuko. They opened a parchment in front of him which was a full-body picture of Aang on a wanted poster.

"The hunt for the Avatar has been given prime importance, all information regarding the Avatar must be reported directly to Admiral Zhao," the soldier informed Prince Zuko.

"Zhao has been promoted?" Iroh asked, not looking up from his Pai Sho game. "Well, good for him."

"I've got nothing to report to Zhao," said Prince Zuko. "Now get off my ship and let us pass."

"Admiral Zhao is not allowing ships in or out of this area," said the soldier.

"Off my ship!" Prince Zuko exclaimed.

"Excellent. I take the pot," Iroh said after winning his game. "But you're all improving. I'm certain you will win if we play again."

The crew members agreed and began another round of Pai Sho.

Still don't know how to play...

|~||~||~|

Prince Zuko decided to turn the ship around a while ago. And to let out his anger, he had been practicing his fire bending on the deck. After about an hour, Iroh and I went to check on him.

"Hey, you okay?" I called.

"It's been almost an hour and you haven't given the men an order," said Iroh.

"I don't care what they do," said Prince Zuko.

"Don't give up hope yet. You can still find the Avatar before Zhao," Iroh told him.

"How, Uncle?" Prince Zuko frowned. "With Zhao's resources, it's just a matter of time before he captures the Avatar. My honor, my throne, my country-- I'm about to lose them all."

Feeling sorry for the banished prince, I slowly made my over to him. He was at the edge of the ship, looking out at the gray sky. I placed a hand on his shoulder and he looked at me confusingly.

"Look, I know it's weird to hear encouraging words from me," I began. "But I know you can find Aang before Zhao. Every time Zhao was able to find Aang it was because you led him there. Without you, Zhao doesn't know where to look or where to go. Plus, after seeing you win against Zhao in that Agni Kai, there's no doubt in my mind that you're stronger than him. Don't give up."

Prince Zuko gave me a small, sad smile, "...Thanks."

"Yeah," I smiled back. "And don't get me wrong, I'd prefer it if you didn't find Aang, but I would rather you find him than Zhao."

His smile faded, "Uh, thanks, I guess."

"No problem!" I smack my hand on his back really hard.

|~||~||~|

That night was music night and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I never knew how talented the crew was at making music because I've never been to music night. Not because I was too shy but because before Iroh bought the tsungi horn, I had no reason to come. Prince Zuko never came to music night so I wasn't surprised when he didn't show up, but in the morning he was nowhere to be seen.

"Iroh, have you seen Prince Zuko?" I asked.

"No, I haven't," Iroh shook his head. "I checked his chamber earlier this morning and he wasn't there. I suspect he went on a small sail by himself to clear his head of Zhao."

That doesn't seem improbable...

"Now, Makki, will you do something for me?" Iroh asked.

"What is it?"

"Will you listen to me play?" Iroh smiled shyly. "I'm still learning how to play."

"I heard you play last night, you sounded great," I told him.

"Yes, but I'm still trying to learn this one song and it is rather difficult. Will you just tell me how it sounds so far?"

"Sure," I slightly giggled.

I sat down in front of Iroh and listened to his tune on the tsungi horn. It sounded great. I have no idea why Iroh wanted me to listen and tell him how the song sounds since he plays with such confidence. Maybe he just wanted me to relax. But not long later, Prince Zuko came sailing towards the ship on one of the smaller vessels he keeps inside the belly of the ship. Prince Zuko came aboard the deck and walked past me and Iroh.

"Hey, where have you been?" I asked.

"You missed music night," Iroh added. "Lieutenant Jee sang a stirring love song."

"I'm going to bed," Prince Zuko replied calmly. "No disturbances."

Iroh and I turned to each other and shrugged. Iroh continued to play his horn and I continued to listen peacefully.