ғɪᴠᴇ

Standing together, the world felt so miniscule and insignificant. Cyrus gazed into the greens of Jonah's eyes, and Jonah into the browns of Cyrus'. Their breaths were in sync, time moved in slow motion. Nothing mattered. Nothing at all. Jonah brushed Cyrus' rosy cheeks with the gentleness of his fingertips, moving closer in proximity. He leaned his head sideways, slowly moving in..

"Cyrus?"

Cyrus was snapped out of his daydreaming, turning to his right and seeing a familiar face in the seat next to him. He flashed a friendly, yet awkward smile. "Nikki? I didn't know we had this class together."

Nikki giggled, glancing down at the wood of her desk and pushing her hair behind her ear. "I usually sit in the back." Nikki truly was beautiful, a gem. Her evenly tanned skin glowed and her hair flowed over her shoulders perfectly. Cyrus could appreciate the beauty in a woman, he just couldn't appreciate the beauty in a woman and himself being one.

"Well, allow me to welcome you to the front of the class," he said with a grin on his face.

His smile was contagious. "Well, I actually just wanted to ask you something."

"Ask away," he shifted his body towards Nikki to demonstrate his attention was fully committed to her.

"Well.. I know Jonah has probably mentioned something to you."

The smile on Cyrus' face quickly faded, his heart began to race. He had been avoiding any more conversation about the possibility of attending Homecoming alongside Nikki, and considering he didn't even know they shared a class before today, he was doing well at dodging the topic.

"I was wondering if you'd like to go to Homecoming with me?"

"With.. me?"

She found the shakiness within his voice to be adorable, along with everything else about him. "Yes, with you. I know it's embarrassing but.. I've got to admit I did have a small crush on you when you were my tutor."

Unresponsive, Cyrus began to fidget with his pencil. Nikki turned away, "I'm sorry.. I shouldn't ha-"

"No," Cyrus interrupted. He could see the expression on her face, suggesting she had felt a sense of rejection. "No.. um.. I'll go with you." The unexpected answer caused a smile to radiate from her face, perfectly displaying her pearly whites. Cyrus put up a fake smile, shielding the truth of his nervousness and uncertainty in his decision.

Saved by the bell forty-five minutes later, Cyrus sealed his messenger bag and made his way out of his class, where Jonah was awaiting him, leaning against the lockers. He looked like the typical high school jock, constantly wrapped in his Varsity jacket. Jonah flashed a broad smile, matching Cyrus' pace as he trailed out of the classroom and towards the cafeteria.

"So?" Eager to hear about Cyrus' encounters with Nikki, Jonah wasted no time. "Have you talked to Nikki?"

Cyrus kept his answer brief. "Yes."

"Well," Jonah fished for more than just a simple yes. The two entered the cafeteria, and made their way through the line where food was served onto their plastic trays, Cyrus grimacing at today's nutrition lacking meal. They dropped their trays in unison onto the cafeteria table that Buffy and Andi had already occupied.

"Are you going to tell me what you two talked about?"

Using a spoon to play with the horrendous meal that lie in front of him, Cyrus tried ignoring the conversation.

"Who?" Andi questioned.

"Nikki and Cyrus. She told me she was going to talk to him."

"Well?" Buffy egged on.

"We're going to Homecoming together," Cyrus reluctantly answered before tossing his spoon onto his tray and pushing it away, clearly not interested in the meal. He attempted to push past the conversation and distract the gang. "Spoon after school?"

The girls yelped in excitement for their friend, finally going to a High School dance with an ACTUAL date. "Aren't you just so excited, Cyrus?" Andi shrieked.

"Sure," Cyrus sarcastically muttered. "So excited."

Jonah patted his pal on the back, Cyrus shifting in his seat to attempt to shake Jonah's touch away. "We can double date. I can pick you up." Double dating with Jonah made Homecoming sound just slightly less aggravating. His gloomy frown transformed into a brittle smile.

ᴀ/ɴ:

ᴛʜᴀɴᴋ ʏᴏᴜ sᴏ ᴍᴜᴄʜ ғᴏʀ ʀᴇᴀᴅɪɴɢ! ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛ, ᴠᴏᴛᴇ, ᴀɴᴅ ғᴏʟʟᴏᴡ ᴍᴇ ɪғ ᴜ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏᴇᴅ ɪᴛ ɪ'ᴅ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴀᴘᴘʀᴇᴄɪᴀᴛᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ! ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ'ᴅ ʟɪᴋᴇ, ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ sᴏᴍᴇ sᴜɢɢᴇsᴛɪᴏɴs. ɪ'ᴠᴇ ᴀʟʀᴇᴀᴅʏ ᴡʀɪᴛᴛᴇɴ ᴀ ғᴇᴡ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀs ʙᴇʏᴏɴᴅ ᴛʜɪs, ʙᴜᴛ ɪ'ᴅ sᴛɪʟʟ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀs ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs! ᴛʜᴀɴᴋs

- ᴇ ʟ ɪ ᴏ