ғɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ

After coming out to his mother, Cyrus was in a state of complete euphoria. Finally, he had decided to ask his mother to invite his dad and step-mom over for dinner, coming out to his four parents collectively without a single thought. Each of his four parents completely accepted him, showing him nothing but love and support. For once, Cyrus was able to live without the burden of questioning his family and loved ones' unconditional love. He rummaged through his locker with a smile on his face, thinking nothing could ruin his day.

"Hey, Cy." he heard from behind his locker door, causing him to jump in fear. He shut the door of his locker, revealing Jonah behind it, with a faint smile on his face.

"Jonah," he coldly responded before adjusting the strap of his book bag on his shoulder.

"Did you get my texts?" he asked, alluding to the multiple he sent the night prior pleading with him to have a conversation. A conversation about what? Cyrus wasn't sure he wanted to find out.

"Yeah, sorry about that," Cyrus confessed. "I was just really busy last night. Family stuff."

Jonah nodded his head. "Right, no big deal man."

The two stood by Cyrus' locker in a short silence, which was interrupted by the school bell. Students shuffled through the hallways to try to make it to their class within the allotted five minutes.

"You should better get to class," Cyrus kindly suggested, not wanting Jonah to get in trouble for showing up late. Cyrus however didn't need to worry about this, as it was his open period.

"Why don't you walk me?" Jonah stated, as he began to slowly began towards his class. Cyrus matched his pace, wrapping his hands around the strap of his bag as he walked.

Jonah continued to speak as the two strolled next to each other. "I just wanted to say I was sorry."

Sorry about what, Cyrus thought to himself. The kiss or just standing by while that jerk Damon was messing with the Good Hair Crew?

Jonah quickly answered Cyrus' unspoken question. "I should've stepped in with Damon. And I'm really sorry that I didn't I just.."

"You don't have to apologize," Cyrus lied not only to Jonah but to himself. "You can't exactly control what other people say."

"Except I could have," Jonah butted in.

Cyrus stopped in his tracks, Jonah stepping a few feet forward before realizing he had stopped. "Really, it's no big deal."

Jonah's eyes grew sympathetic, knowing Cyrus wasn't being completely truthful with him. He wished that it really was no big deal, but it was. It was a big deal. Especially after Damon had uttered the hateful word he did.

"Cyrus, he said--" Jonah said before being cut off.

"It was just words. No big deal." Cyrus said. "I'll see you later"

Cyrus would turn away from Jonah, trailing off towards his usual spot during his free period, the library. Jonah was left standing alone in the hallway. He hated having serious conversations, but he knew he would probably be having another one soon with Cyrus. Either once again about the situation at the Spoon, or about the kiss. He doubted to himself that Cyrus would ever like him the way he liked him. His thoughts were interrupted when the bell rung. Jonah cursed under his breath, quickly rushing towards his next class.

He spent his entire class, not focused on the assignment, but how he was going to apologize to Cyrus. He wanted it to be okay, but he knew there was no way that it would. Liberated by the school bell, he quickly packed his stuff up and rushed out. Jonah made his way to the cafeteria, scanning the entire room before finally seeing Buffy and Andi seated across from one another. He made his way towards the table, but was quickly cut off as he felt an arm wrap around his shoulder. Damon escorted Jonah towards the corner of the cafeteria where some of the baseball players hung around. He took a look back as he heard his teammates laughing and talking, watching Buffy and Andi from across the room.

"Yo, Jonah. Did you hear me?" Damon slapped Jonah's chest with the back of his hand.

"Sorry, what?"

"I said you're better off dropping those losers, man."

"What?!" Jonah's forehead wrinkled.

"They're nobodies, man. What more do I gotta say?"

Jonah shook his head, never able to understand what Damon had against his friends. Without saying another word, he turned around and began walking towards the two girls, hearing Damon yell in his direction asking where he was going. Completely ignoring him, Jonah took a seat at the table, receiving strange looks from Buffy and Andi.

"Hey," he timidly said, knowing they were probably still mad that he just stood by letting Damon be a jerk. He got no reply, the girls exchanging looks with one another.

"Listen, I'm sorry. I know I should ha-" Jonah began before being cut off by Andi.

"Say no more."

"Just make sure it doesn't happen again," Buffy finished.

Jonah was surprised they were quickly forgiving, and it seemed more genuine than Cyrus' forgiveness from earlier. That brought a question to his mind.

"Where's Cy?"

"He said he had to check into his English class. Something about making up an assignment," Andi answered.

Jonah played with his sleeve, still knowing he's going to have to have a very serious conversation with Cyrus. One that definitely won't be anything less than awkward.

"I need your guys' help with something," he spoke under his breath.

"What is it?" Andi questioned.

"I want to apologize to Cyrus, but I don't know how to."

Buffy raised an eyebrow. "About what happened at the Spoon?"

"No," he uttered. "It's about something else."

"Something as in?" Buffy fished for more information.

Jonah wasn't going to confess. Definitely not now. "I can't say."

Buffy shot a look at Andi, and Andi shot a look at Buffy, both unaware of what Jonah could be alluding to.

"Why don't you just say sorry?" Andi suggested. "I'm sure he'd understand."

"It's just..." Jonah began, before quickly being cut off. Just as he was about to speak, Cyrus plopped his bag on the table and took a seat next to Jonah. He let out a vocal sign of distress, sighing loudly. Everyone at the table shared a look with each other, before Cyrus let out another sigh.

"Is there something wro-" Buffy started before being cut off.

"Mrs. Miller won't accept my late assignment. It's one assignment! You'd think after all the help grading essays would be enough to allow me one late assignment!"

Andi and Buffy couldn't help but laugh, knowing that Cyrus' one missing assignment wouldn't budge his grade in the slightest. Cyrus rolled his eyes, before placing his hand on Jonah's shoulder.

"Good to see you at our table, Jonah," he said before slipping his hand off of Jonah's shoulder.

"Yeah, isn't it great he's here?" Andi blurted out. "He actually told us he was meaning to tell you something."

Jonah's eyes widened, staring at Andi. He wasn't prepared to apologize, or even talk about the kiss. Especially not here, now in front of Buffy and Andi. He tried to subtly shake his head, trying to signal to Andi he wasn't prepared.

"What is it?" Cyrus questioned.

  ↠

ᴀ/ɴ:

ᴏᴋᴀʏ ᴛʜɪs ɪsɴ'ᴛ ᴍʏ ʙᴇsᴛ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ, ɪᴛs sᴄᴀᴛᴛᴇʀᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴏɴғᴜsɪɴɢ ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ɴᴇᴇᴅᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴜᴘᴅᴀᴛᴇ. ɪᴛ's ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴀ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ. ᴀɴʏᴡᴀʏs ɪᴛs ᴅᴏɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɪᴛ ᴡɪʟʟ ɪᴍᴘʀᴏᴠᴇ ᴀғᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪs. ᴀʟsᴏ ᴡʜᴏ ᴅᴏ ɪ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴜᴘᴅᴀᴛɪɴɢ sᴏ ʟᴀᴛᴇ? 1 ᴀᴍ? ᴡʜᴏ ᴀᴍ ɪ?

ɪғ ᴜ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏᴇᴅ ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ ᴠᴏᴛᴇ, ғᴏʟʟᴏᴡ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛ!

- ᴇ ʟ ɪ ᴏ