Chapter 19: Quest

Hermione's heart nearly stopped. What? Now? Did he want to meet them now?

"Draco... they won't-"

"I know they won't know who we are," Draco interrupted, "I just thought maybe you'd like to see them before we go, to check on them."

Hermione had to think. She always wanted to check on her parents, but it was too dangerous.

He lifted her hand to kiss it, "We don't have to, but I think, with not knowing what will happen, you'll feel better seeing that they're okay. We wouldn't be long."

After a moment of hesitation, she admitted, "I would regret it if I was this close and didn't go to see them."

Draco grinned, "Okay, when you're ready, then... I have my bag, just in case."

Hermione stood there, closed her eyes and exhaled. We'll go near them, not to them. They're probably not in, they're probably out anyway. She opened her eyes, "Okay... I'm ready."

She gave him a kiss and held him tight, and together, they Disapparated.

They reappeared in a new location, surrounded by mid-sized houses. As the sun was beginning to set, she immediately noticed that the one directly in front of them had grey-blue paneling, and a little white fence. Shoot, too close. It was either subconscious or the fact that she did not know the area well enough to Apparate elsewhere.

Tugging at Draco's hand to walk away from the house, she bumped into someone the moment she turned, "Oh, excuse me-"

Draco turned to see what had happened, his hand hovering where his wand was hidden in his pocket. There was nothing too strange about the person Hermione ran into, but he did not understand why she had suddenly become so pale in the face.

"It's alright," came the polite response. "Can we... help you?"

Hermione paused and closed her eyes. It was not at all strange that someone would ask that, especially if two strangers had appeared right in front of your yard.

Draco quickly looked at the middle aged man and woman before them. They appeared like average Muggles to him, dressed simple enough. He expected that Hermione would be able to communicate better with Muggles, so for a second he allowed room for her to respond, but she remained speechless. Draco felt her hand tighten around his. It took him a moment to connect, to really see the features of the strangers in front of him. Specifically, the features of the woman, though as she tilted her head, the glow of a nearby street lamp highlighted her features. He now noticed her hazel eyes, freckles and an uncanny resemblance to her brown untamed hair. This was Hermione's mother.

He looked at Hermione to see if she was going to snap out of it, then back at the couple. Seeing how overwhelmed she was, he let go of her vice-like grip and applied his new found cultural custom, reaching his right hand out eagerly, "Hi."

The older man instinctively reached out, and though he was regarding Draco with curiosity, he shook his hand.

"Er- we're lost and we were just admiring this house..."

The man bore a look of hesitant understanding. Meanwhile, his wife gave Hermione an apologetic look, "We seemed to have frightened you, my dear. Where were you headed? Maybe we can guide you."

Finally managing to get a hold of herself, Hermione answered, "That would be lovely. We're trying to find... a restaurant. We're new to this place, just visiting."

The couple glanced at each other before the man spoke, "Well, you're a bit of a way from any place that sells food around here. You might need a car, unless you're ready for a lengthy walk."