Amen

For a long moment, there was silence. Seras and I stood together and watched the exchange. He was still kneeling, his long hair cascading in waves around his face. I could make out a beard through the strands. He wore a torn old cape over his armor. His head was still bent, and I couldn't read his expression. I had never seen this form before, but it was somehow familiar, as if I had seen it in a dream. Or a memory...

It was only when Integra spoke that I was released from my thoughts. "Welcome back, count," she said calmly, looking down at him, bloody sword in hand. At some point during the fight, she'd shed her coat, leaving her in only a white blouse and trousers, both of which were also covered in blood.

"Good to be back," he replied and opened his crimson eyes to look up at her. His voice was the same, much to my surprise. For some reason, I had been expecting it to be deeper, gravellier. She nodded and he stood up to his full height. He turned to Seras, studying her carefully.

To her credit, Seras was only shaking a little when he turned the full weight of his gaze on her. "Uh, u-um, w-we-welcome back master," she stuttered out nervously, her hands behind her back. I grinned as she fidgeted nervously. I thought you weren't afraid of anything anymore, Seras? "Master, you've grown a beard, have you? A beard..." Seras laughed nervously again, shrinking back a little when he raised his hand.

He smiled softly, lowering his hand onto her head with gentle affection. "Seras," he said, as if reassuring himself of who she was. "Seras Victoria." The blonde vampire nodded excitedly and he finally turned to look at me. From his slow reluctance, I assumed he had been feeling as nervous as I was.

I lifted my eyes to meet his, trying not to run into his arms. There would be time for that later. First, I needed answers. He opened his mouth then paused, as if trying to figure out who I was. For a moment, I was terrified. Would he recognize me? If he did, would he be happy? Or would he be disappointed that I wasn't her?

Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to find out, because he suddenly grabbed me by the arm, pulling me forward and out of the way. I thought I would stumble into him, but instead he stepped in front of me and I heard the sound of metal hitting metal before something clattered to the ground. I turned and moved closer, recognizing the object as a bayonet. He laughed, a deep, vicious sound. "Oh, how nice," he growled mockingly. "It's my dear old enemy!"

"We are sacred servants of the one true God." We looked up as Anderson moved towards us, already holding two more bayonets in the shape of a cross. I stepped back, grabbing Integra's arm as we ran to get clear of the battle we knew would follow. "Servants, ready to punish all heathens in God's stead. Our mission is to find all those who would dare go against the wishes of our holy Father, and slice away all the meat from their unholy bodies until there is nothing left. Amen!"

And so, it began. The sound of metal clashed against metal, bullets fired from Alucard's Jackal. Blood gushed from both men, each regenerating as quickly as they were injured. Alucard continue to change forms as his blood danced around them. One moment, he was a young boy in white, the next he was tall and thin, in a black straight-jacket, the next he wore his red coat and hat. Even his weapons changed from time to time, alternating between a blade and his guns.

"What a man you are," he snarled as they fought. "You've trained your body beyond human limits to fight this long. My enemy!" The black-haired vampire called out, his expression filled with glee. "What a sight it would be if you killed me! Let's see you drive those bayonets of yours deep into my heart! Just like it was 500 years ago! And like it was 100 years ago! Let's see you end yet another interlude to my everlasting dream! My beloved enemy!"

"Ask..." Anderson replied, obviously struggling against the immense power before him. "And ye shall receive!" He roared and ran at Alucard. They clashed again, metal hitting metal. Even with my own enhanced eyesight, the two men seemed to blur. All we could see was red and black and silver. We watched the battle across the town square, lone spectators to a fight for the fate of London.