Welcome Home

"Captain Bernadotte!" I sigh as a young man's voice breaks me out of my thoughts. Turning to look at him, I raise an eyebrow but say nothing as I wait for him to speak. He fidgets nervously and removes his hat. "S-Sorry to interrupt, captain. The, uh, the others told me a story, and I was wondering whether or not it was true." Still, I remain silent, studying the young man. Really, he's more of a boy. He only joined the company less than a month ago. If I remember correctly, he came from a poor family living in one of the godforsaken sandtraps we fought in. After escorting them to safety, he begged us to bring him along. Azir, I think his name is. Seeming uncomfortable with the silence, he continues. "T-The battle of London, captain. Is it true you were really there?" I shift slightly and lift my flask, nodding. As usual, the boy's eyes widen in disbelief. "That's amazing, captain!"

I set down the flask and look him in the eye. "There's nothing amazing about watching people you love die, lad," I tell him as I stand. I can feel the other members of the Wild Geese watching us carefully. I don't know them well enough to know what they're thinking. I was told the remaining Wild Geese died in the years following the battle of London. After Pip died, I became the captain of the group. I've gathered new members as we traveled, but it still isn't quite the same. I think it's because I know they too will die someday. I think I'm just tired of watching it happen. "It's horrible and painful, and I hope none of you ever have to go through it."

Azir nods, swallowing thickly. "I-I'm sorry, captain. I didn't think about it that way."

I sigh and brush past, muttering to myself. "No one ever does." The Wild Geese watch me leave, knowing better than to follow. The night air outside the tent is cool, but I don't mind it. Hot and cold don't affect me the way they did thirty years ago. I still find it difficult to believe it was all so long ago.

I stare up at the dark sky filled with stars, and my thoughts begin to wander. Closing my eyes, I picture the old mansion where I once lived. I think of Sir Integra, trying to imagine her after so long. Her face is still clear as day in my mind, as is everyone else's. I try to picture her hair graying, her stern face growing wrinkled, but I cannot. To me, Hellsing remains unchanging, immortal just as I am now. I can only see my friends as I knew them all those years ago. I wonder what's changed. Has Integra found another servant? Did Seras find a mate or someone to serve as she did? I doubt it.

After he died, the Major and his survivors met their end when the zeppelin exploded. Integra and Seras managed to escape, and I later found out that the explosion itself was caused by Walter, a final gift from a servant to his master. We searched the wreckage until we had confirmed that everyone was dead. Integra explained that the Major was not really a man, but a machine with the brain of a human. Everything after that was a blur, with fragments of clarity at various points. I remember removing the cobblestone with his seal from the street. I remember lying beside his coffin, surrounded by untouched blood bags and trays of food. I remember Integra and Seras whispering to one another in the doorway. I remember getting on a ship to Africa.

As the light from the camp grows dimmer, I begin to wonder if the men will come looking for me. I know they won't. I spend most of my time alone these days.

"Another night under the stars, machèrie?"

Well, almost alone.

He had appeared for the first time on my first night alone. I had screamed and sobbed upon seeing him. Seras and Integra found me next to the coffin, hysterical. It didn't take me long to realize that neither one could see him, or why I was the only one who could.

"I thought I told you to go away," I growl halfheartedly. He doesn't reply, simply steps beside me to study the night sky. I try not to look at him. I used to look at him all the time when he first appeared. Then I began to notice the ache in my chest. Now, I just try to ignore him altogether. It's easier with others around. I can distract myself more easily. But here, in the cold darkness with just the two of us, I want nothing more than to reach out to him.

After a while, he speaks. "I can't, machèrie. We're bound to each other." His tone is apologetic and I force myself to bite back a laugh.

"You're not real," I spit. "There is no bond here. You're in my head, and I want you out of it."

Another long moment of silence. From the corner of my eye, I spot a long braid. He's always right there, in my peripheral vision. No matter where I look, he's there. I know it's because he's in my mind because he's there for me to see. "If that were true," he replies calmly. "I would not be here, machèrie." I don't respond. "You are alone, and despite what you may tell yourself, you do not want to be alone. You have put me here because I will not leave you."

"Then why did you?" I explode, rounding on the figment of my imagination. "Why did you leave me alone, Pip? Why?" Tears are forming in my eyes but I don't bother to wipe them away. I'm angry, I'm always angry. It's all I can truly feel anymore, anger, bitterness, pain. I aim a punch at a tree, but I never get to land it. Behind me, someone coughs. I immediately whirl around and dry my eyes, composing myself.

Before me stands a young man, about my age, or at least my body's age. He has dark hair and burgundy eyes. They're familiar, but not quite the same crimson irises I'm used to, not quite as bright as mine. He is a little taller than I am, but he's smiling. I vaguely notice that he is in a three-piece suit and I am struck with a pang of nostalgia for my old friend. He smiles and bows, trying not to seem perturbed by me talking to myself in the middle of the desert.

"Pardon me, madam," he says calmly. His English accent somehow creates an even larger contrast between his proper and refined composure and the deserted, dirty landscape around us. "My name is Sebastian, and I am here to retrieve you upon orders from the British Royal Family."

I scoff and cross my arms, studying him. "Is the old bat still kicking then?" He merely smiles down at me, not responding. "Tell her I'm not interested. I will only go back to London when Alucard returns."

At this, the butler smiles and gestures to a ridge several feet away. "I thought you might say that. Please, follow me and I will explain further." Intrigued, I follow. "I'm told you participated in the battle of London." I nod, trying not to show my annoyance at the question. "Impressive. I myself was escorting the nobility out of harm's way. I do wish I could've joined you."

"Then you're a fool." Sebastian pauses, looking surprised. "No one won that battle. Everyone lost everything that day, and only a lucky few were able to escape with their lives."

"I see." He nods and pushes back a strand of hair. He smiles at me once more. "Thank you for your input. But one cannot live in the past forever. Especially when the future looks so hopeful." As he says this, he leads me over the ridge.

That's when I see him. He's standing beside a woman in a dark outfit, talking with her quietly. He sticks out harshly in his crimson clothing and I feel my breath catch in my throat. He pauses, noticing me, and smiles tentatively. "Can you see him too?" I whisper to Sebastian, frozen.

It is only when Sebastian nods that I take off running. He immediately opens his arms and catches me in a warm embrace. I sob into his bright red coat as he hugs me tightly, whispering reassurances. I pull away to look him over, drinking in the sight of him. "Where have you been?" I breathe.

Alucard nods and his expression turns serious. "I kept on killing my own lives inside of me," he tells me. "Three million, four hundred and of twenty-four thousand, eight hundred and sixty-seven. I kept killing them until there weren't any left. I killed them all except one. And now, I'm here." He smiles and kisses the top of my head and it feels like I've come home. "I'm here."

I nod and hug him tightly. "I'm sorry, Alucard." Tears are streaming down my cheeks. "I should have been there. I should have stopped it." He shakes his head and wipes away my tears, but he doesn't interrupt me. "After you..." I pause, trying to regain my composure. "After you disappeared, I couldn't stay at Hellsing anymore. I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing." He squeezes my shoulders gently. "You're okay. You're here with me now. You're home." I nod and he kisses me. I kiss back fiercely, nearly melting into him right then and there. I know we have a lot to talk about. I'm not the same person I was thirty years ago, and I doubt he is either.

But none of that matters right now. I have waited thirty years for this moment, those talks can wait another day. "Welcome home, my Count." I smile and rest my head against his chest.

I can feel the rumble of his chest as he chuckles and holds me tighter. "Good to be home, Countess."