| 2 |

Eliza had woken up early and was helping Frypan with the Runner's food. She carefully wrapped up their lunches and lined them up on the wooden counter. She wiped her hands on a dishtowel before handing it back to Fry. Shortly after, the Runners had come to collect their food.

Eliza held a lunch out for Minho, who took it gracefully.

''I had hoped you made this, Liz.'' Minho smirked, ''You know how to take care of me.''

Minho was the only person in the Glade who called her Liz, sometimes Newt would call her that too but that was rarely. Eliza had a nickname for Minho too.

''Minnie, you would be dead without me.'' Eliza said.

''Stop flirting you two.'' A new voice said. Eliza turned towards the door to see Newt standing there with his arms crossed, his jaw tight.

Eliza shrugged her shoulders, ''Be safe, Minnie.''

''Always, Liz.'' With that, Minho took off with the other Runners and Eliza stepped out of the kitchen and tried walking past Newt.

''What happened to us talkin'?" Newt questioned, his grip on Eliza's arm soft.

"I was waiting for your slinthead ego to deflate.'' Eliza sassed, looking at the boy who towered over her.

Newt let out a laugh, ''My ego?"

Eliza tilted her head, ''Did I stutter, shank?"

Eliza managed to push past Newt and began walking through the Glade. The air was cool because the sun had not risen yet. It was only sunrise, and beautiful golden rays covered the sky.

''I'm sorry for acting the way I did. You're right, I am a slinthead.'' Newt apologized, stopping her again.

Eliza paused for a moment, her eyes looking down to the ground. ''If I always bug ya with that stuff, you could tell me. I feel like I'm annoying.''

Newt reached his hand out to softly grab Eliza's cheek. Her skin was smooth and soft, the sun was dancing off her pale skin. He could see how her brown eyes had specks of gold hidden in them, how her eyelashes were long.

''You could never annoy me, ever.'' Newt said, his voice was quiet, as if he was scared of awakening the whole Glade.

Eliza could feel the roughness of his hands, and the way his eyes still had that sparkle in them when she first met him.

Newt could feel himself leaning in, and so could Eliza. Before their lips could touch, the sound of the maze walls boomed throughout the Glade, making the pair jump apart. They both looked at eachother, the color of their cheeks mimicking.

* * *

One month had passed since Chuck had gotten here, meaning a Greenie is going to pop up soon.  Chuck had become the little brother Eliza never knew she needed. The small boy brought optimism and comfort into a stressful situation.