Chapter 21: Babies and Bad Things

"So.. it has to be here, right?" Saya asked, looking at me with concern. "Right. Be careful." I told her. "I would say the same." She replied, eyeballing my injury . "Just go." I snapped, walking off.

((5 minutes go by.))

"Got it!" I called, holding open the door, waiting for her. "Come on... we gotta hurry." "Right." She said, pulling medicine off the shelves. "This'll work perfectly for the old people back at the mall as well." I said with a smile. "Right.. the old people that you nearly died for." She reminded me. "Gee.. thanks." I muttered, watching the hall.

Speaking of the old people... I wonder if they're ok. Shizuka's gonna have a full plate while I'm gone, and Katya seems to really care about that guy.

That guy..

Who the hell is he? And why did Katya freak out? I've never seen her so worried about someone like that.

I've got some questions for Katya and our arrival.

I must have been seriously preoccupied in thought, because I felt Saya's hands shaking me so hard, it nearly gave me whiplash. "What, What?! I'm-"I demanded, looking at her.  What kept me from chewing her out was the look of  fear in her eyes. Following her gaze, I saw her object of fear. It was a zombie.. but not like any zombie I've ever seen. It's eyes looked like they were covered in cataracts, and just... stood there. It wasn't staring at us directly, but I knew, some how, it knew we were there.

"Saya... whatever you do... don't move." I told her, slowly  approaching the being. As I got closer, I noticed that the zombie, or whatever it was, looked super skinny, like it hadn't eaten. It's throat looked also really strange, like it's Adam's apple was super swollen.

Odd...

Never breaking my gaze from the zombie, I took one step forward. As I stepped, I heard the floor creak. It was almost instantaneous what happened next. The zombie snapped its head down at me, and opened its mouth, creating this ungodly sound.

RRRREEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

The shriek of the zombie threw me off, disorientating me. The zombie used this to attack, lunging towards me. Yelping in fear, I instinctively grabbed it's coat, tossing it to the ground. Pulling out my gun, I fired two rounds into its head. 

"Quin!" Saya yelled, making me realize my mistake. Cursing under my breathe, I grabbed her hand, wincing as I heard the unholy choir of shrieks. Running down a hallway, I noticed a empty doorway to my left, and dived in, taking Saya with me.

"You okay?" I asked, panting. "Yeah... you?" She asked, getting a nod. "Good... what were you thinking?!" She demanded, hitting my arm. "I know... I don't want to hear it." I grumbled, standing up. Brushing myself off, I noticed something, like a small hospital bed in front of me. "Um.. Saya? Where are we?" I asked. Saya looked around, and found a sign, reading it off.

"Maternity Ward."

Oh...
My
God.

'Shit.' Tengu muttered, as I tensed up. "Shit." I said, getting flashbacks of what I had seen in the car. "No... no, no, no no..."  "Quin?" Saya asked me, seeing what probably was my pale face. "We gotta leave... now..." I told her. "Well, the other door is on the other side." She retorted. Growling at her, I slowly tip-toed around the beds, feeling like I was in a mine field. Each bed I passed had progressively worse stages of decomposition, and different ways of mutilation for a baby... I even passed a baby that was untouched, but completely mummified... it was so dried out, I swear it looked like something out of the museum. Just when I thought I was safe, I heard something I never wanted to hear.

Waaaaaaaaaahh.. Wa-waaaaaaah. Wah- WAAAHAHHHHHHH!!!

Shit.

"Time to go!" I yelled, kicking open the door. With Saya right behind me, we took off, heading for the stairwell, and down into the lobby. Heading for the door, I snatched up the crutches I saw earlier, and ran out the door.