EIGHT

Alec sighed as he made his way up the stairs, heart lodged in his throat. He simultaneously dreaded and longed to see Magnus again. He was still hurting from their last interaction. He could hardly believe how cold Magnus could come across. Alec hated that Magnus was on the other side of a war. He hated how the man he loved couldn't look him in the eye. He felt so much for the other man and just the few days apart had been torture - as if he'd never feel happiness again. It eased up when distracted by his friends and the mission but the ache was constantly there. Magnus made him feel whole and he was kicking himself at the fact that it was all his fault - he had kept the truth from Magnus. He deserved to know - they all deserved to know.

His thoughts were interrupted when he got a text with a confirmation of the rift's location. He felt relieved that his sister and Rafael managed to find it so quickly. He felt his stomach sink as he neared the front door. He also felt a small flutter in his heart - he missed him so much. He loved him. He just wanted to see him.

Alec shook off those thoughts. He knew he wouldn't be greeted warmly so he rid himself of expression and stood firmly as he raised his arm and knocked on the door. Despite trying to remain calm, Alec's heart raced as he heard the footsteps approaching much sooner than he was prepared for and his arm was still raised when the door swung open. Alec tensed as Magnus' gaze slid over him. He looked left then right before humming and going to close the door.

Alec felt the frustration rise at the man's childish actions and held out a hand to stop it slamming in his face. "Magnus." Alec warned.

Magnus took in an angry breath, still not meeting his eye. "What do you want Shadowhunter? Is it about the demons?" Alec tried not to flinch at the disdain that coated his kind's name. Magnus wasn't usually one to discriminate due to race but Alec could see his hatred of the Shadowhunters now directed at him and it hurt a lot more than he liked to admit. He hated that he'd put this barrier between them. He wanted to be someone Magnus could love and trust. Alec tried not to think about it as he replied.

He let out an annoyed sigh, "There's something you need to know, about the queen."

"Well if you've come to tell me that she made a deal with Valentine, I already know." Magnus stated and went to close the door once again. Alec felt the anger rise once again as he stopped the door from closing.

"Wait." Alec urged. Magnus gave him an impatient glare and Alec tried not to rise to it. He also felt a pang of sorrow - he never wanted Magnus to look at him like he was a burden. He tried to push down the emotions which were making it hard to breath. "Izzy has located the rift that the demons are coming from." He explained as calmly as he could muster.

"Oh, and you want me to seal it. What a surprise." Magnus expressed sarcastically. Alec looked down and gave a small defeated sigh before turning his gaze to Magnus.

"We need a warlock to seal one this severe."

"Duh." Magnus drawled whilst rolling his eyes.

The frustration flared again, "Demons don't discriminate between downworlder, Shadowhunter or mundane. They kill them all." Alec urged, trying to make Magnus see reason through their petty feud. Magnus' eyes narrowed but he could see Magnus beginning to think rationally.

"I'll seal the rift." He finally relented. "But not because of you or the Shadowhunters, because it'll save lives." He clarified and Alec tried not to feel the sting of those words. Alec lifted his chin defiantly and Magnus turned away, shutting the door in his face. Alec couldn't help but roll his eyes.

~

Rafael was studying the data of the Edomi demon when he heard Isabelle. "I just spoke with Imogen. Despite her request there have been no troupe movements in and out of Alicante since." Rafael and Max turned to see Isabelle and their parents making their way towards them. "When she went to Malachi to see what the hold up was she was told he left suddenly." Isabelle informed and Rafael frowned at the disconcerting news. He was pretty sure he remembered their uncle Jace telling them Malachi was a traitor.