THIRTEEN

Rafael and Max grinned at each other on the other side of the study door. Everything was right once again. All they needed to do now was get back to their own time and let things run its course. However, to do that they needed a spell. Rafael knocked on the door to warn the recently reunited couple of their presence. They were happy for their parents but they didn't want to hang around and hear them kissing and being all lovey-dovey. 

Magnus cleared his throat. "Y-yes, come in." He announced, straightening out his lapels and rubbing his thumb over his lips. He could still taste his Shadowhunter. He smirked slightly at the dirty thoughts that threatened to surface. Any other time Magnus would be happy to voice them just to get a rise and blush out of Alec but maybe they weren't appropriate for his future children who had just entered the room. Throughout the exchange, Alec had not once let go of Magnus - as if afraid to now that he had him back. His hand rested loosely on Magnus' waist. The Warlock felt a warmth at his side and a softness take over his smile. He had Alec back.

"Sorry to interrupt." Max grinned cheekily and marched in. He hoisted himself up on the desk, whilst his brother took a more reserved approach. He stood up straight, hand clasped behind his back in the centre of the room. The likeness to Alec was painfully apparent. 

"It's no bother, I assume we're used to this in the future with troublemakers such as yourselves roaming about." Magnus smirked, his own fingers seeking out his Shadowhunter as he giddily referenced their future together. 

Max humphed. "Sometime it doesn't stop you." He muttered and Magnus chuckled as Alec blushed. 

"How are you doing? I can't imagine all of this is easy to take in." Rafael asked, straight to the point. Like father, like son. 

Alec thought for a moment and took Magnus' hand, "We're ... processing." was all he could come up with. "Not sure 'my kids came back from the future' can ever be fully normalised." He admitted. His bewilderment had just taken a back seat to fixing his relationship with Magnus. 

Max giggled at the look on his father's face. "It's a good story though." He shrugged, more relaxed than he had been the whole time he'd been there. 

"Despite the ... absurdity." Alec started, taking in his boys. "I'd be happy to know my future has you both in it. Thank you for all your help." Alec smiled and separated from Magnus to pull Rafael, who was closest, in a hug. The boy froze up for a moment before wrapping his arms round his father, smile widening. Max let out a noise and hopped down from the desk. He buried into Alec's other side. Alec accommodated him and hugged his kids tight. Magnus swore he felt his heart melt at the sight. 

"It's been hard ... the past few days." Max admitted, hair ruffled as he pulled back from the embrace. "Seeing our family ... keeping quiet." Max sighed and Rafael put a comforting hand on his brother's shoulder. "There was so much we wanted to tell you ... to warn you about - Sebastian in particular." He pointed out bitterly, scowling at the memory of the bastard hiding in plain sight. 

"It was better that you didn't." Magnus comforted. 

"We don't know what will affect our future or not. We were so conflicted about telling you guys and now that you know, we're relieved but ... I'm a little anxious to know how this affects Max and I directly." Rafael admitted. "Things could be totally different when we get back - butterfly effect and all that." 

The family shared contemplative looks. Magnus let out a sigh - there was a definite way to make sure nothing was affected. "Then it's settled. To protect you boys and our future, all memories of this experience will need to be erased." 

"What?!" Max exclaimed in surprise. Alec also looked reluctant. 

"I agree." Rafael nodded, lips turned down.