003 The Target

July 7

---

Alex POV

George's words and training echoed in my head a lot as I walked out and down to the back door.

Make sure you are precise.

Son.

Stay away from them.

Don't make friends.

Don't make eye contact.

Don't fall in love...

Sounds hard. This is hard. I have to abandon all emotion whatsoever and kill a human being. I didn't want to be this way, nor was I given a choice.

Ugh.

Before I went to murder this stranger, John Laurens, I decided to get some coffee from Starbucks. I ordered a venti black coffee. No sugar. I like coffee by itself. (Alex what the actual fu..??)

I didn't make eye contact with the barista. I think that was what George meant. I didn't even look up at him. His voice was kind of calming, the way he said my name.

I sat at a table until my coffee was done. I started looking through the like folder again. I was about to get up to grab a straw, since they didn't give me one.

That was when a tall guy about my age, maybe, sat down with me. "Hey, I forgot to give you a straw. Sorry about that."

I looked up, frightened by the sudden voice, shoving the file folder onto my bag. "Oh. Thanks?"

He nodded, noticing how startled I was. He looked familiar. Really, I stayed quiet and made no effort to seem friendly at all! Why was he sitting next to me?

"I'm John Laurens in the place to be. Two shots of espresso, but I'm working on three," he said, making a soft beat on the table.

Wait.

What the fuck.

"John Laurens?"

He nodded. I studied his face for a few seconds, not trying to seem creepy. Hazel, more like golden, eyes. Freckles. Brown, curly hair. Oh my god.

"My name is Alexander Hamilton. There's a million things I haven't done.."

"Ah. Well by the way, I'm not trying to, like, creep you out, my dude. My shift just ended and you seemed lonely. And you ordered a giant ass cup of coffee, I don't know. I figured I might..well, never mind. That's so weird, I'm sorry."

"Uh..? No, you're not weird. I'm just stressed is all."

We talked for about half an hour before we both kind of said we needed to leave. We clicked, I guess. Something about him made me want to stay. Like I predicted, he's really nice. And he's prettier in person.

How am I supposed to kill that cute, sweet, turtle-loving barista? I can barely kill a spider without freaking out. Except I don't like spiders. I don't like any humans either. Except this John kid?

We traded phone numbers because he said he feels weird when he doesn't. He says feels like the other person might think he doesn't like them and won't want to contact them. I chuckled and ave mine to him, even though I already knew his. Because of my files.

Don't  fall in love. With anyone, not just targets. It messes everything up.

Dammit, George was right.