10

**Ashley's POV**

I was way too excited for this date! It had been awhile since I had actually gone on one and this guy was different. Stefan was... Well Stefan. I didn't know how else to describe his mannerisms.

I slid on a gold mini skirt and a white blouse. Not casual but definitely not over the top, I thought. I added some hoop earrings and curled my hair to make it look more volumized and slid on white sandals.

My wolf was whining within me as I felt the time creep closer to when he would arrive. Even if he wasn't my soul mate, I still felt the need to release my inner self and go running through the woods. Damn werewolves have too much energy.

The doorbell rang and I sucked in my breath before releasing it. I don't know why I was holding it anyways it's not like I was underwater or anything.

Walking downstairs I called out to my parents, "got it!" Before opening the door and smiling at Stefan, "hey."

His smile was almost as big as his eyes as he gazed at me, "hello. You look stunning."

"Thanks," I blushed and closed the door behind me.

He helped me inside his car before getting in on his side. By this time my wolf was begging to be released or to just kiss him and know whether he really was my mate. He could probably smell the lust on me... Sheesh talk about attractive.

"So I figured dinner and then we could go walk around by that park that has a nice view of the city at night?" He glanced at me briefly as he began driving.

"Works for me," I lit up when he mentioned park and wondered if I would ever be able to tell, well more so show him what I truly was.

"Ash?" Stefan looked at me and I realized I had spaced out.

"Sorry what?"

"What got you thinking so deeply," he teased and asked again, "do you mind me asking about your... Procedure?"

It made sense that he would want to ask after he had walked out the first time or whatever. But I did want to enjoy this night without it just being about my past. Giving him a smile, I replied, "I will but let's enjoy dinner first?"

"Sure thing," his voice wavered and I wondered if I was making him nervous? And maybe I could figure out why he seemed slightly unnerved by my eyes...

"So," I began as the waiter set our plates down, "do you have any siblings?"

He shook his head, "nope. Just me, what about you?"

"Same," I smiled and took a bite of my fish as he thought of something to ask.

"What's something most people don't know about you?" He raised his eyebrows.

Oh you know, being a werewolf, I thought in my head and suppressed a smile as I thought of another response. "Hmm... well besides the obvious with my eyes, I would have to say my fear of fires or of heights."

"But those still seem like normal fears," he raised an eyebrow while I sighed, "yea but it just seems stupid to admit that to everyone. So not very many people know. What about you?"

"Fear of the unknown," he replied and I could tell he was thinking of something that must've caused him to say that. Part of me was itching to know but the rational side of me knew that in time he would probably say.

"Favorite animal," I asked as I sipped my water.

"White tiger, you?"

"A wolf," I grinned and held back my canines from growing as my wolf stirred restlessly.

"Neat," he asked for the check and paid as I waited patiently. It was hard to truly know if he was the one! I don't know why I couldn't figure it out, it's like my wolf radar was broken.

When we got to the park, we both just walked along the sidewalk before laying down in the grass to gaze at the stars.

"Amazing isn't it?" He breathed.

"Mhm," I looked at all the stars splattering the sky.

"What was it like, not being able to see?" His voice wavered slightly.

"Dull," I replied and caught him staring at me, "it was like... Being in darkness all the time. Secluded from society and never knowing if you were ever going to see what you really looked like or your parents..."

"So you did the new surgery that had come out," he added and I just nodded.

"It wasn't pretty, but I'm very grateful for the fact that I can now see things. Sometimes I feel that whatever I see is in a different way that others don't."

"I never thought about it that way," he mused as I tried to read his reaction. There was something there...

"You know," I began gently, "when most people notice my eyes they can't stop staring. But with you, it's like you run away... Why is that?"

He looked down and sighed as I felt my hand rest on his cheek.

"I knew someone who had eyes like yours," he said softly.

"What happened to them?" I frowned as I saw a tear slide down his face.

"She died in a car crash... And her organs were removed to be given to others," his voice shook as he tried to pull himself together.

My heart began pounding, now it all made sense as to why he had reacted the way he did...

"Are you sure that these are..."

"Tabitha's," he said and I flinched slightly at how much hurt was behind those words, "without a doubt yes."

"Well I'm sorry that you met me under these circumstances," I mumbled softly and stood up before walking away without looking back.

As much as it hurt for me to realize he had been hurt unintentionally, it also became clear that he was my mate and I had been rejected. He still wanted Tabitha and if he thought to somehow have her again was through me, then he was so wrong.

**Sorry it took so long for me to update this. I've been busy and had writers block. Well one secret is out! Tell me what you think, I would love to hear y'all's input!**