Writing Tips

So it's 1am and I have class in the morning so I am going to try am make this tip quick and sweet, but I wanted to put it down so I wouldn't forget. The details matter!

When you're writing a story pay attention to the small things. I'm not just talking about spelling and punctuation, although that is super important too. I mean take the time to put in side notes to talk to your audience. I'm not saying write paragraphs at the end of every chapter, but small notes help readers feel valued.

But more importantly be unique with it! Add things that most authors don't think about in this: a prologue, an afterward, a dedication, footnotes. The audience wants it to feel real and genuine like they are living it and these things help.

If you put the story in an exotic place, or it's exotic to you, don't just have the characters be the stereotype behavior and sayings. Have the sayings and behavior be molded around the character. For example, don't just have a British person say "love" because they're British, but make it fit they're character. Also look up how most people of that origin feel about certain topics because what may seem normal here may not be normal there and vice versa. Read articles and watch interviews with people of that origin and take notes (don't recommend watching movies; you want something not scripted). Research is your best friend.

You can always go further with detail by plotting out your story and potential sequels that way you can focus on foreshadowing better as you are writing.

Name a character after a significant person in history to fit the theme and the character. Look up the definition of the name (not urban dictionary, but the real definition). Look up a city on a map and it's weather, climate, landscape.

Don't just be random with your choices. Give everything a purpose.