preface

The battle is terrifying, in a way he'd never known previously. Bodies and chaos and powerful magic fill the castle he'd called home, threatening the very world and family he'd created for himself.

He cautiously walks down a hallway, back against a wall and wand raised, ready. He can almost feel the magic, without seeing it. It runs through his blood and his body is alive with it. He peers around the corner, hesitant, ready for a spell to fly towards him.

The sight he is met with is terrifyingly magnificent. One wizard is standing there, phoenix circling his head, flames pouring from his right hand and wand flashing, as shields appear at random to block any offending spell. It almost makes one forget who the real battle is against, for who is a match for him?

He's almost impossible, untouchable, invincible.

The boy edges back, not wishing to engage in a battle with the wizard for very obvious reasons. Six against one is not enough to defeat him, he'd make no difference to the battle anyway, only get in the way, be another burden.

"Get into the room of requirement, get anywhere, get away from here! Please I can't let you get hurt."

"And what about you? I can't let you get hurt! They'll all be targeting you."

"I'll manage."

"But I should be there..."

"This is the only way I can ensure you're safe. I promise your family, I-"

"Please don't send me away, I can't leave, I won't."

"Please I-"

"I just want to stand with you, and protect my home."

He closes his eyes. He needs to protect his home, he needs to fight, he needs to make a difference.

He needs to be brave

and ambitious

and intelligent

and loyal.