seven

The light is brighter than usual for the morning; there isn't the usual filtered light casting deep greet shadows on the walls. This light is warm, natural sunlight pouring in through open windows, bright and uncomfortably present. 

When Dan looks around, he's startled. There's frozen figures placed carefully in beds, still and stiff as porcelain dolls. It's like a nightmare, an alternate universe. It's almost surreal, being the only one not frozen in time. Nothing is alive. The only thing marking the passing of time is his own breath tumbling out in short gasps.

But, when he looks beside his bed, a non-frozen and snoring Phil Lester is slumped in the chair beside him, head on Dan's mattress beside a damp patch of drool. Dan smiles, however it fades slightly as he remembers what happened last night. Patronus, spiders, Ron, Harry, fire, burning, fading...

He sits up slowly, swivelling around and preparing to heave himself out of bed. Just as he's about to place his feet on the floor, there's a small cough, making him jump. He turns to see Dumbledore standing there, eyes shining behind half-moon shaped spectacles and a waterfall of a beard pouring down his front. 

"P-Professor Dumbledore-" Dan manages to squeak out, nervous at what the headmaster might say about his antics last night - if he knows about them - which he probably does.

"Ah Dan, sorry if I startled you. I will notify Madam Pomfrey of your awakening as I leave, but first, a word if I may?" he asks, smiling in a way which makes Dan feel slightly uneasy.

Dan can only swallow the lump forming in his throat and nod meekly. He's still unsure what he would possibly want to say until he catches sight of one of the petrified victims and the familiar feeling of fear twists and settles itself inside his stomach.

"As you may have discovered you are a powerful wizard, more so than average..." Dumbledore begins, peering at Dan with an unreadable expression.

"Professor, it wasn't me I promise, I would never-" Dan begins so say, tears forming in his eyes as words spill out of his mouth,  "I know with my background and all it might seem like it but I'm not like them I don't- I couldn't- I just-"

"I know Dan. I was merely here to inform you that I assume your power will be desired by both good and evil alike," he says, before his eyes shift to the sleeping Phil, "however, I do believe your heart lies in the right place. Despite what you may have been brought up believing, know that you have the power to make your own family."

"Thank you?" Dan replies, confused.

"You're welcome. I hope, if the time ever comes, I can rely on you Daniel," Dumbledore says, raising an eyebrow at Dan expectantly.

"But, Professor, I don't understand, what could you need to rely on me for? I'm nowhere near as powerful as you," Dan stammers, "I wouldn't be needed for anything."

"There are more ways than one to be powerful Mr Howell, and I suspect you may possess many of these," Dumbledore proclaims, before turning to leave, "but do not take your power lightly, and do not attempt to interfere in things beyond your control, for there is great risk of hurting those you care about."

And then he's gone, his words ringing through Dan's brain for hours following their odd encounter.

***

Lockhart bursts into the classroom in the most obnoxious robes Dan has ever laid eyes on, grinning like a madman. They settle around him like odd coloured curtains that no one wanted, so he decided to make a fashion statement instead. Dan sighs deeply before resting his head upon his pile of textbooks - Lockhart's books hold about as much useful information as a pillow anyway. Actually, the pillow would be better than these textbooks, Dan decides, letting his eyes fall shut.