six

Seemingly, more and more people are disappearing. Dan sees the increasing empty spaces, people gone as easily as a candle extinguished. 

The gamekeeper, Hagrid, has mysteriously left without a single trace. Everyone is on edge, even the Slytherins are hesitant to leave the safety of the common room out of class. And Hermione Granger, Dan's favourite charms partner, is in the hospital wing which isn't bringing him as much joy as he used to anticipate her departure would. It was strange, the never-resting girl missing from class, the library, the great hall, everywhere.

As his own control of magic is increasing, so does his fellow student's suspicion of him - especially after knocking his opponent back without even flinching during the duelling club. His useless defence against the dark arts teacher formed it while not even knowing anything himself - Dan is more qualified to teach the class than he is. At least he knows the theory behind magic, the true way to treat the creatures that Lockhart thrives from misunderstanding and conquering. He's misinforming the whole school.

Dan feels as if there us a target floating upon his back now. Every turn, there is a group of students staring at him with filthy looks, terrified looks and other various mixed emotions. At least he still has his friends, although that list is quickly dwindling in numbers. He knows he isn't the heir of Slytherin, he can't even speak parseltongue like Harry can.

"Dan! Check out this plant I-" Phil starts to say as he runs towards him,.

Dan quickly shuts his eyes and hides behind his robes, bracing himself for the inevitable attack of some stupid plant. Creatures love him. However, sentient, arguably aggressive plants... not so much.

"No Phil! I do not want to see another goop spraying cactus or lethal lilies or fire-breathing snapdragons or squealing trees!" Dan cries, "my sanity can only take so many aggressive plants! They all have it out for me!"

"No silly, this is just a regular succulent," Phil says with a laugh, showing Dan the unmoving, seemingly harmless plant in a yellow pot, "a muggle plant."

"Well I like it a lot better," Dan says as he breathes out a sigh of relief, still not completely trusting Phil.

"I was thinking of maybe trying to make it magical! Do something cool," Phil says with a large grin, "what do you think?"

"I think that plant would be better non-sentient honestly with the rate you dehydrate any plant that doesn't remind you," Dan says with a teasing smile.

"Shut up, I still destroy you at herbology regardless," Phil grumbles, pushing his glasses up his nose.

"Only because Professor Sprout looks after everything when you forget to," Dan says, "anyway, I've been meaning to tell you... I can do a patronus charm now!"

"What! What is it? How? I wanna know my one!" Phil gushes excitedly, jumping up and down with excitement, "please show me so I can live vicariously through you until I can do one!"

"Okay, meet me at the edge of the forest at eleven tonight?" Dan says, a smile on his face.

"But... That's against the rules..." Phil says hesitantly, looking around for any invading ears, "are you sure? I don't want to get in trouble."

"I'm sure, I do it almost every night," Dan says, flashing Phil a wide and cheeky grin, "trust me."

Phil sighs, reluctantly nodding his head.

"If we die, I'm going to kill you. If we get expelled, I'm going to slowly and painfully murder you," Phil says.

"Thanks Hermione."

"That, was in poor taste."

***

"Dan! I don't like this, there's spiders all crawling in an ominous way and it's all eerie and-" Phil starts to gush as soon as they're all of a meter inside the forest, "I do not want to be here."