Volume 2

She manages to go by the skin of her teeth out of the city and meets with her bandit subordinates. Her right hand, well, more accurately her left hand man greets her. His name is Altair. He is a tall, rugged, and stocky man. He is flanked by Arif, a small, thin man and Abdul, the most normal, indistinct, man imaginable. You've seen this man at least twenty times per day, and still wouldn't be able to identify him. The three kneel down before her, Altair speaking quietly with widened eyes.

That's Tack! He was the one who ran into...your uncle, two years ago.

Najida's eyes flashed with irritation, of course she knew all of that about her soulmate! She steeled herself for the question she knew would be a little tricky to answer.

Why did you bring him here.... unless?

She sighed in relief. Of course he understood, he was with her through... everything.

Yes, you are right. Let's go back to camp, I can explain everything to everyone, once Tack wakes up that is.

Altair grinned at how carefully and gently Naji looked at and handled Tack. Of course his thoughts travelled back to when Naji had helped him with his own soulmate, Aretha. Her advice was indispensable, and he used it on a daily basis.

His thoughts turned darker as he thought on her father, Abbas the Wicked, and how she would come crying and begging for his help against her father. Whenever he thought on that man, he could always count on Naji to get him to snap out of it, like now.

Altair? What is it? Thinking about him again?

He gave a curt nod, appreciating how little movements conveyed the same meaning of words. A true testament to how well Naji knew him, and how well he knew Naji. He made a silent prayer to Allah that Tack and Naji would get to know each other better than he knew Naji. He was surprised by her words.

Altair, we will have to postpone the celebration of my soulmate. I think that I will need to get Tack to know me better than he could ever know The Princess.

He knew that Naji had a reason to say this, so he patiently waited for her to address everyone else. Of course he detected the bitterness in her voice. His thoughts wandered back to when he felt the same way early in his and Aretha's courtship whenever she would talk to other men. Now, he felt the need to protect her at all costs. He was wary of other men, but trusting of Aretha. He snapped out of it as soon as he arrived at camp. He dismounted quickly into Aretha's arms.

Najida normally didn't allow help with dismounting, but she allowed Arif and Abdul to help her since she had Tack to deal with. She quietly ordered the two to start setting up Tack's things in the empty tent that was next to her own tent. She cradled him in her arms and carefully strode towards his tent. She had made sure it was the softest and comfiest that the tribe could offer. Laying him down on the bed she had made for him, she delicately kissed his forehead and whispered to him.

Tack...wake up soon...