Chaper One

It was a cold autumn morning, the sun was high in the sky, yet no heat came from the suns rays that shown so brightly upon the land. Normally someone would have been seen bundled up in a bunch of warm clothing, a bag upon their back as they headed towards the large building known as Shaughnessy High. Except for one, his name was Toby Rogers, he normally only wore a thin sweater and a pair of jeans, converse on his feet and matching white socks. He was alone every morning that he walked to the school, it wasn't always like this; He used to be happy, still kept to himself but only one thing had been different, he had a sister. She had died from severe injuries in a car crash that involved the family, the only one that had left this earth and Toby behind to a cruel household, his mother barely standing up to his father.

Toby walked silently up the steps to the large doors of the high school, reaching out and touching the cold handle as he opened the door and walked in. He wasn't late, but he wasn't exactly early either. Inside was crowded with all sorts of students, even the cliché popular bitches and asshole jocks. The male payed no attention to them as he made his way to his locker, occasional ticks coming from him. Although they were annoying, he couldn't stop them, in most cases the only thing he could do was scratch and bite at his skin because of them, finding them to be an annoyance and feeling rather out of place. The boy was numb to pain, numb to emotions except anger. That was all he felt anymore, anger and sorrow, his dear sister Lyra had left him here and for what? To come to this hellhole and be abused by his drunk father?

He wasn't angry with her, rather his father. The man who had been the cause of this all, the man who never showed up to the hospital for Lyra, the man who split this family in half. Toby felt nothing but anger for the man; most days even thinking of killing him with his own bare hands but that would solve nothing. At least, not yet.