Summer

Rating: B for BUTCH GIRL PRESENT

Pairing: Wamen

Based off of: I wanted it to be summer so bad I could've cried so I channeled that into some gay shit about nature

Other notes: Finally we get a butch main character, about time @ me

~~~~~~~~~~

 I sit there, at the edge of the deck. A centimeter farther, and my toes would be hanging off the side. The wood is soft. It creaks if I walk too fast, but when I shuffle along, heel to toe, the way I do this early in the morning, it's nice and quiet.

In front of me, an expanse of green, blanketed by shadows. The birds are just starting to stir, breaking the heavy, but not uncomfortable, silence. Wind blows lightly. I can't see the stars anymore; we're just on the edge of sunrise.

It can be cold before sun-up. Pulling my sweater over my fingertips, I turn my head to the sound of the screen door sliding open. Ynez is awake. Her dark hair spills over her shoulders, curling and bunching the way it does after she's slept on it. Our eyes meet. She smiles warmly. "Good morning, Wen."

I feel the edges of my lips pull up to my cheeks. "Hey."

I turn back towards the treetops in front of me. Another gust of wind flies by; this one is a bit harder. I hear our windchimes rustle on the porch below us. I hear the gentle creaking of Ynez approaching behind me; she's bigger than me, vertically and horizontally. She creaks no matter what. I love it. I love knowing when she's there, hearing her presence before I feel it.

She wraps her arms around my waist, and the air is knocked out of me, despite the simplicity of the gesture. She plants a soft kiss into my hair, and follows it with a hand running through. "I love your short hair. It's so soft, like a baby."

My giggle indicates a thank-you. "The sun is coming up soon."

"Yeah." She takes the hand that's already around my waist and slides it up a bit, just under my sweater, resting gently on my stomach. I love all the casual ways she can say I-love-you. I love the way her hands wander over me during all our conversations, like she can't get enough of me. And she loves the way I blush up to my ears the second her hands are on me. "Should I make coffee?"

I shake my head. "No, that's alright. I want to watch the sun come up with you."

She's nuzzling into my hair now; I buzzed it last week, leaving only about an inch of hair remaining. "How romantic."

I rest my sweater-covered fingers on the railing in front of me. I can feel Ynez's hair all down my left arm, and I'm not cold anymore. Light starts to break the glassy horizon. The two clouds in the sky are illuminated by the rays, turning pink.

Ynez sighs. "It's always so pretty."

"Happy first day of summer." I grin; I have to. Happiness is pulsating through me.

I feel her pull back a bit, and I imagine the surprised face she's making. "Hasn't it been summer the whole time?"

"Scholastically, yes, but today is the solstice. June 21st."

"Damn."

We keep standing for a moment, breathing together. The birds are getting louder, a cacophony of chirping. Ynez gives my hair a final affectionate rub before letting go of me and turning. I hear her retreating footsteps. "I'm starting the coffee."

I'm pinned to the spot, watching the sky change colors, watching the world wake up. There's something infinitely peaceful about rising as the sun does; something almost sacred.

"Are you coming?"

I turn and shuffle in behind her, sliding the screen door closed in my wake. Ynez is already in the kitchen, rifling through cabinets. "Want to hear about the dream I had last night? I was in a mineshaft, and you were there, and Brianna, from my marketing class..."

I sit and listen, nodding. I love her stories. I love that she sits and watches the sun rise with me, and the way she makes coffee, and how she talks with her hands.

I wish summer was actually 500 days long, like the stupid hetero romance-flick. I know who I'd pass the time with.