Part one

When she was five years old, her parents told her everything about the four beings in the world. The first being Santa Claus, and the way he would leave presents on Christmas if she was good enough. The second being the Tooth Fairy, so that her teeth would fall out clean and bright. The third being the Easter Bunny, so that hiding the eggs would be much more fun to find, and the fourth being Sandman, so she would have pleasant dreams and go to bed without a fuss.

She grew up believing in these beings, and every night she would stare at the stars and pray to see at least one. Just one. Of course, the day she got her wish was also the day she stopped believing.

~

The first she stopped believing in was Sandman, because her dreams were no longer filled with happiness and light, but with darkness and fear. She was only eight when her parents were divorced, and she was grateful for someone at her age, because she was getting sick of hiding under her bed all the time praying for someone to come and save her.

~

The second was the Tooth Fairy, because every time she lost a tooth, no one would praise her anymore. She felt like she had no happy childhood memories anymore, and she couldn't remember the last time she saw her mother smile. She was ten at the time, and she no longer got a single dime for her well-cleaned and bright teeth. So every time she lost one, she'd toss it into the garbage and walk away with sadness tugging at her heart.

~

The third was the Easter Bunny, because no hope was to come for her that year. Her father was to remarry, and her mother couldn't even get out of bed to see her off to school. She was twelve, and all she did for Easter was sit in her room and wait for the hopeless day to past, as she waited with everyday. She would lie down and close her eyes, as her body wracked with sobs.

~

And finally, the last was Santa Claus, because she didn't feel any wonder anymore. In fact, she felt nothing at all. She didn't see her father anymore, and her mother was sent to rehab for overdosing on a strange drug that she has never heard of. She was sixteen and was sent to live with her grandparents, and remained hopeless and sad. Yet her kindness and innocence remained, and it was all she had left.

~

She remembered the day she stopped believing entirely. She went out to the snow covered porch, and brushed off some snow from a chair, she sat down and ignored the cold wetness seeping into her jeans. She looked out to the beautiful canvas of what old man winter brought and smiled. She brushed her brown hair away from her face and looked down at her cold hands, wondering why all this had to happen to her.

"It...isn't fair." She whispered as she watched the sun set.

"I don't understand why I have to deal with this. I didn't...I don't think I did anything wrong, did I?" She asked herself.

"It wasn't like I personally made my mom go away, or my dad, or anyone." She mumbled, bringing her knees up to her chest.

"I don't think I have anything to believe in anymore." She admitted quietly, before placing her head in between her knees and silently cried.

The snow drifted around her quietly, as if listening to what she had to say. The only sound that was heard was her shaky sobs, as well as how the wind picked up just a little. She shivered but made no move to get up, and continued to sit there quietly, not wanting to face the world anytime soon.

"What? You wouldn't stop believing in Fun would ya?" A voice interrupted, making the girl jump and stand up.

"Who's there?!" She asked suddenly and spun around, trying to find the voice.

"Uh...I'm right in front of you." The voice said, sounding a bit hurt.

"I....I'm sorry, but I can't see you. I can hear you though..." She added.

She noticed the foot prints in the snow and watched them walk towards her. She felt something cold clasp her hand and she let out a gasp.

"I can feel you too!" She cried.

The invisible hand took time to stroke her knuckles for a moment, before letting go and the footprints walked over to the window. A finger drew shapes and curves, before creating a boy on it. She took her cold hand in her other one and walked towards it with a small tilt in her head.

The finger continued to draw and she noticed the boy holding some sort of staff, as well as looking as though he was flying.

"Who are you." She finally asked with a sort of odd feeling tugging at her heart.

"I mean," she added, trying not to sound rude about it, "What's your name?"

"Can't tell you unless you tell me yours." The voice said.

"Fine. My name is Sarah." She mumbled as she touched the window ever so gently.

"Sarah huh? The names Jack." The voice said.

"Oh! So you are a boy!"

"Well duh! I'm drawing myself right now." He said as his finger continued to trace along the window panes for effect.

Sarah watched as the finger continued to draw the outline of a boy, holding a long staff, as well as having what looked like to be a sweater. He drew other features, like the nose and the eyes, as well as the hair. He signed it with a small snowflake with the initials 'JF' on the bottom right corner.

Sarah stared at the picture, transfixed for a moment.

"Not bad." She finally said.

"I know right? I am pretty awesome. But why can't you see me?"

Sarah frowned and became puzzled.

"I don't know. I want to, but I can't."

"Well you should...if you can feel me and hear me as all."

"I don't know Jack, I don't know." Sarah replied honestly, feeling a bit sad not being able to see her new friend.

"Don't you believe?" He asked.

Sarah stopped frowning and flinched at the word.

"I'm not sure what you mean."

"Ya know, believe! Like, haven't you ever believed in the Easter Bunny, Sandy, Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?"

"N-No, no those are just childhood lies." Sarah replied coldly, flinching at the sharpness of her voice.

Jack was quiet for a moment and Sarah feared he left, but he finally spoke.

"You do believe, but you won't let yourself fully grasp on to it again."

"What's it to ya?" Sarah mumbled as she crossed her arms.

"Well if you wanna see me, you gotta believe!"

"But Jack I-"

"Don't 'but' me. Just tell me straight up if you ever actually have believed in any of them before."

"I..."

Sarah paused, feeling annoyed but grateful for this strange boy. Maybe he could help her believe, since she definitely needed it the most.

Sarah kicked away some snow and sighed.

"Yeah, I did. A long time ago."

"So, like, what happened?"

"Life happened. I grew up. Nobody was there for me in my most troubled times. But I remember being so happy once. Before I stopped believing." She responded and sighed.

She didn't noticed the footsteps walking towards her, but she felt the cold hand grab hers again, keeping a firm grip onto hers.

"It's time I help you get back to your old roots."

"But how?"

"By meeting the other Guardians of course." He replied plainly.