Chapter 21

Chapter 21 

Petrov was surprised and slightly suspicious when Captain Farrell invited him to visit him in his quarters that night after the evening meal. Admittedly he asked him while on the bridge, in front of the rest of the crew so it was scarcely a secret assignation, but he was still suspicious. He hadn't been alone with the Captain since he had talked to him about Rhys and that had only been for a few minutes. What was he after? Was he going to ask him to transfer out voluntarily, so that he didn't have to apply Rule 158?  

He felt cross and anxious. The only thing that cheered him up was the fact that Shehu didn't like it either. He could see a heavy frown between his eyes as he overheard the invitation. They hadn't had a chance to talk privately since he had left Shehu's cabin the day before, though mind you he wasn't hunting for the opportunity. It was going to be hard enough to keep their distance in front of everyone else as it was. He had never considered himself a particularly good actor but it seemed he was going to have to learn. 

Farrell rearranged the furniture in his living room several times before he was happy with it. He wanted the chair and the couch turned slightly towards each other, but not too far away, the small table within reach but not between them. He clicked his tongue in annoyance, he didn't know why he couldn't seem to get it right, why he was so concerned about the furniture arrangement in the first place, for god's sake! He was wearing a grey singlesuit, the simple uniform patrol men wore when they were off duty. His first thought had been to dress totally casually in cargo pants and a tunic but then he had thought it would look a bit silly when Petrov came in wearing his uniform, so he had settled on the grey. 

What did Petrov like to drink? He took out a bottle of Orion brandy and put a few ales in the cooling unit just in case. He poured himself a glass of the brandy while he straightened up the rest of his quarters. As he usually kept them in perfect order this didn't take him very long and he poured a second glass as he sat down at his desk to go through a couple of reports while he waited. At last! Petrov flashed his ID at the door. He got up to let him in. 

"Come in Petrov, would you like a brandy or an ale?" Farrell smiled at the young man standing rather stiffly in the entrance, in his dark blue uniform. He set the privacy seal behind him automatically as the other man came inside. 

Well that was certainly friendlier than he had expected. Not for the first time, Petrov thought what a different man the Captain looked like when he smiled. "A brandy would be good, sir." He started to relax, maybe this was just a social visit as the Captain had said. He tried hard not to remember how the Captain had pushed him up against the wall outside the Three Suns, his tongue halfway down his throat. It looked like they were just going to move on, pretend the incident had never occurred, probably a wise choice given the fact that they had to keep working together. 

Farrell poured him a drink and handed it to him, then refilled his own glass. "Have a seat," he gestured to the couch as sat down in the chair. He knew Petrov was interested in hiking and fishing and he drew him out to talk about his experiences, interspersing them with a few funny stories of his own. Petrov found himself relaxing even further, starting to enjoy the Captain's company as he sipped a very good quality brandy, a better one than he could afford. The Captain appeared to be drinking rather heavily but he seemed to hold it well and it was scarcely his place to tell him to slow down. He noticed the Captain was looking at him rather intently, perhaps it was time for him to go. It was getting late. He drained his glass and set it down on the table. 

Then he watched in disbelief as the Captain put a hand on his knee. He could feel the warmth of it through his uniform. What was he doing? Petrov looked up at him, startled, a flush climbing up his cheeks. He needed only one glance at the liquid heat in the other man's eyes to know exactly what he was doing, he was making a pass, he wanted him. Farrell licked his bottom lip, reminding both of them how Petrov had nipped him there when he kissed him. "I was wondering if we could finish what we started the other night," it wasn't a question. His hand began to move up along the inside of his thigh. Petrov sat frozen to his seat, this couldn't be happening, but it was. He put his own hand on top of the Captain's, holding it in place. 

Unfortunately Farrell appeared to take this as encouragement. In less than a second he pushed him backwards onto the couch and covered him with his big body, one hand caught between them, seeking to reach between his legs, his mouth crushing down on his lips. Yep, he was really over him, thought the Captain, ironically. Sweet god but it was so arousing having that lithe body bucking and twisting beneath him, he didn't think he could possibly get any harder. He was pretty sure any minute now Petrov would surrender, he had been all over him that night behind the Three Suns, he was certain he returned his desire. 

The more Petrov struggled to get out from under him, the more aroused Farrell became. As soon as Petrov realised that he stopped struggling and concentrated on freeing his mouth. Farrell took immediate advantage to position his hand exactly where he wanted it. "Ah," he murmured in satisfaction. "You do want me." 

"No, I don't want to do this." Petrov protested indignantly. Of all the times for adrenaline to kick in! "Captain, stop it, please. Let me get up." He used the other man's rank deliberately. 

"You don't mean that," Farrell argued, stroking him. 

"Yes, I do," Petrov could see he wasn't getting through. His body was responding betrayingly to the Captain's caresses, despite his attempts to resist. "I've got someone else!" he said loudly in desperation. 

That caught Farrell's attention for a moment. "Rhys?" he guessed, then added dismissively. "Dump him, he's no good for you, you know that." 

"No, it's someone else." 

"Who?" Farrell was disbelieving. 

"I can't tell you. Just as I haven't told him about you," Petrov added deliberately. 

"Give me one time, that's all I ask, just one time to get you out of my system, then you can go back to him.  If he really exists," Farrell pleaded, bringing his hands up and starting to unfasten his uniform, keeping him pinned to the couch with the weight of his body. If things had been different, if only Petrov hadn't begun something, whatever it was, with Shehu, he might have been tempted. After all Farrell was a gorgeous looking man, but he knew it would be wrong on so many levels. Apart from the fact that he suspected Shehu would be shattered, Farrell was using his strength and his rank to try and coerce him to have sex, the very thing that he was so adamant in condemning. If he let the Captain have his way now, he knew without a doubt that Farrell would hate both of them when he sobered up and came to his senses. He couldn't let him have sex with him, for the sake of all three of them. He had to try harder to get Farrell to quit of his own accord, to realise what he was doing, that Petrov was absolutely serious when he asked him to- 

Oh my god, now Jake had his hand down inside the front of his uniform, circling him with his fingers.