Chapter 41

Chapter 41 

Harris was starting to feel trapped. His heart was beating faster and he felt as if he was sweating. 

He didn't think there was anything in his cabin to give him away but he didn't know how long it would take before whoever was researching everyone's background discovered his link to Tom Wilson and therefore the Captain. He hoped the Captain hadn't told anyone else that he had changed his name, but he couldn't count on it. 

He and Aslanian were in the docking bay, checking the stealth pods. He knew it was only a matter of luck that they had not been called to the infirmary for a body scan along with all the men who were off duty or who were able to leave their stations for ten minutes. As soon as they had finished there, Eriksen and Norton would be along any minute to conduct the scan on the rest of the crew wherever they were working. He had to get rid of the explosive device in his boot immediately, but how? 

He thought Aslanian was watching him more closely than usual. Had he given himself away or was he just getting paranoid? In any case there was no way he could take off his boot and remove the device unnoticed. The only thing he could think of was to go into the toilet and toss it down the disposal unit, but would that trigger an explosion? He didn't know. His brain felt as if it had seized up, he couldn't make a decision. He really didn't want to dispose of the device permanently, what he really wanted was another chance to use it. One thing was certain, he had to get it out of his boot, it wasn't doing anything there except identifying him as the assailant. 

Muttering an excuse, he went and locked himself in the nearest toilet unit and took his boot off. It only took a few seconds to remove the device, and put it in his utility belt. It had taken an additional thirty seconds to program it so that he could trigger an explosion with a signal from his wristcom. He glanced at himself in the mirror fearing to see the stress showing on his face, but apart from a line of sweat on his forehead, he thought he looked no different from usual. He took a moment to wipe his face and steady his breathing, he couldn't do anything about his pulse rate. Wild thoughts of holding Aslanian hostage raced through his head, but he still hadn't come up with a real plan when he heard the unmistakeable sounds of a shuttle docking outside. 

He came out of the toilet unit to find that Lieutenant Cheung had arrived with the injured crew returning to the Diell. Aslanian was preparing to help them disembark and called him over to help. It suddenly dawned on Harris that here was his best, if not only, opportunity.  

XXX 

Farrell was finishing his search of Aslanian's cabin when his wristcom flashed a silent alarm. There was an emergency in the docking bay. Could something have gone wrong with the Voyager's shuttle? He was already on his way there, long legs striding along the corridors. Despite the fact that they were all occupied in searching for the assailant, for some reason it didn't cross his mind that he had struck again. 

He reached the docking bay to be met by the sight of Aslanian pulling grotesque faces at him. At least that's what it looked like before he realised he was trying to send him a warning. It was too late. He looked into the bay, his eyes glancing quickly over Nguyen, seemingly frozen in the entrance to the embarkation chamber, on to one of the new crewmen who was holding on to his wristcom with a fixed expression, looking at him with hatred in his eyes. 

"I'm sorry Captain, I sent the alarm before I realised what he wanted," Alsanian sounded desperately apologetic. He glared at the other man. Harris, that was his name, Farrell finally remembered. 

"What's going on?" he asked. He kept his hands loosely at his sides, ready to go for his stunner if he needed to. 

"He's the assailant," Aslanian answered. "He's got a bomb! Another one!" 

Farrell found the stunner in his hand before he was aware of moving. But then he heard what Harris was saying. 

"It's already activated," Harris said in a loud high voice, still looking at the Captain. "If my finger leaves my 'com for even a second, it explodes!" 

"What do you want?" asked Farrell in an even voice, lowering his weapon. 

"You. I want you to get in the shuttle and then we're going to leave." 

"Don't come any nearer sir, he's going to blow us up as soon as you're in range," Aslanian warned urgently. 

Harris glared at him. "No I'm not! We're all going to leave in the shuttle, it'll get us to Moonta if we're careful. You're going to be my hostages so no-one will shoot us down." 

"You don't need six hostages," argued Farrell persuasively. "Let the other men leave and I'll come with you in their place. I can pilot the shuttle, there will be less for you to worry about." 

He thought Harris liked the idea, but he didn't want to give up his position of power. By the same token, Farrell didn't want to get any nearer while Harris still had Aslanian and the others hostage, in case the other man decided to cut his losses and blow the device. Stalemate. 

"I'll drop my stunner when you let Aslanian go, to show good faith," Farrell offered. "Then you can let the other men leave. I'll go towards the shuttle as soon as the last man reaches me." 

Harris sneered. "I'm not an idiot! If that happens you'll duck back around the corner as soon as they're all out." 

"No, I give you my word. If that's not good enough for you, you can believe this. I won't risk an explosion in the docking bay, it would cause too much damage to the ship, and this wall wouldn't be enough to protect us." 

Harris was looking agitated. Farrell could only hope he wouldn't blow them all up by accident.  

"Aslanian, come towards me slowly," he ordered, and let his stunner fall to the ground. 

The crewman swallowed then took one step towards the exit without looking back at Harris. Nothing happened and he continued towards the Captain, keeping his movements as slow and steady as he could. 

"Nguyen?" Farrell kept his voice low and matter of fact, as Aslanian went past him to the dubious safety of the corridor.  

Harris shifted uneasily from one foot to the other. Farrell lifted both hands and put them on top of his head, hoping that would relax Harris a fraction. 

Harris felt worried that control was slipping so easily from him but he didn't have anything against the other men, he really didn't want to hurt them as long as he got Farrell in his power. He kept his eyes on Farrell, shifting slightly so that he had his back firmly against the wall and out of reach of the men now coming out of the shuttle. He watched as if in a daze as Weiss, Carmody and Yamamoto followed Nguyen out of the embarkation chamber and out through the docking bay. When Cheung put his head out however, Harris seemed to wake up. 

"Stop right there! That's enough, I've kept my side of the bargain! Cheung will pilot us, you and I are going to talk," he ordered Farrell. "Inside now!" 

"Don't do it sir!" Cheung urged. He didn't trust Harris as far as he could throw him, even less. He could almost see the hatred towards Farrell coming off in waves, he was as certain as he could be that Harris was going to kill the Captain, even if it meant killing himself as well.