Chapter 3 - Part 2

He caught sight of the different paintings that hung on each wall, his fingers graze the grand piano along his way to the sitting room. In the corner was a wooden door where a brown dog laid.

      "Hey, you are still alive?" he scratched the dog behind its ears. The dog looked up at Neil, licked his muzzle with one fast sweep of his tongue, and laid down back. He stretched his leg over the dog and entered into the room to find DD sitting behind a canvas, painting.

     "What brings the one and only Neil Khanna to my house?"

     "What do you mean? Haven't you been getting my messages?" he questioned and took notice of DD's painting.

     "Sorry, but I got an art gallery to run." DD put down the paint brush. "Haven't had time lately."

     "What are you working on?" he took a closer look at the canvas. It showed different shade of dark colour on each side of the canvas. Neil wasn't one for art like his friend. Right now, it seemed that DD painted shadows.

     Or demons. His demons?

     DD's painting was famous for always showing despair, guilt, and sadness. Which shared no resemblance to the man that painted them. Probably because he was an expert in masking them.

     DD picked a rag and wipe off his hand. "It's not about what the painting is but what it makes it you feel.

     "Neil gave a dismissive wave. "I didn't come to talk about that now."

     "Okay, what is it? Talk to daddy." He slipped on a white t shirt and they walked out of the studio to the bar adjacent to the sitting room.

     "Your advice did not work. Can you believe that girl said no to me?" Neil pulled a stool and leaned against the counter.

     DD took out a bottle of wine and two glasses from a glass cupboard and pushed a glass to his friend. "It was not an advice but a test. If she rejected you, meaning she passed and maybe she like Ali for real."

     "What, that it? It is over? It can't be over. That girl insulted me, like I wronged her or something." His gaze dropped to the cold, hard marble floors, each tile chosen with a specific taste in mind. He couldn't help but picture Avni's brown eyes, it was tinted with so much distain which confused him, considering he never knew her before the fender bender.

     "Relax some girls like to play hard to get and you can't be able to seduce every girl." He took a sip from his wine and shook the glass around his fingers.

     "I never have to seduce anyone, girls hear my name and go crazy. Do you know many people sign up for that win a date charity contest? It's crazy, no one has ever rejected me like that." Neil paused then asked "or have you?"

     "Sure... lots of times." DD said in between his drink.

     "Name one." Neil blurted out.

     DD almost choked on his wine. He tilted his head and tapped his finger on his glass. "I'm sorry bro, I got nothing." He chuckled.

     Neil knew very well DD's skills was legendary. There was no creature in a skirt he couldn't get his way with, he once flirted with his teacher just so she change his grade.

     "Should I ask her out? Give her a dose of DD."

     "No. I'm not giving up on her, especially now I'm sure there is something weird about her."

     "Well, why don't we make this more interesting?" DD crossed his hands in front of him. "I bet you wouldn't able to have sex with her."

     Neil laughed. "Are you kidding me?"

     "It's not joke. With your temper when things don't go your way and she not caring about your wealth, it would be great if you can even get a kiss from her."

     "You may be the Casanova in this room but I got a few things up my sleeves." Neil acknowledged.

     "So it's a bet."

     One fine morning, Avni strolled along the walk way, kicking a pebble on the pavement. Her rent would be due soon, she loved working at the dinner but it didn't pay much, her debts was almost drowning her and each dollar bill was a like a magic wand to cast away her problems.One of them had a name. Neil. She had to get another job if she were to pay him back as soon as possible and finally getting rid of him.

     Like her prayers were answered, her sights fell on a job vacancy sign on the window of a large department store and she rushed inside. The store was very busy, filled with people buying and trying out clothes at every corner. The roof was high and banner advertising latest offers were hanged up.

TO BE CONTINUED...

PLEASE DO VOTE AND DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS!!!