Chapter 3 - Part 4

"Are you going to give a talk about how there is honour in being poor and all that crap." his hands hung on his waist. "God, I hate people like you," He muttered.

   She couldn't understand this man, was he trying to be nice to her at the same time insult her.This must be another one of his sick joke, it got to be. She wasn't the fragile girl back in high school who was pushed around by everyone.

   "This must be hard for you to understand but I don't need your charity." She dumped the clothes on the floor and darted straight for the door.

    That afternoon, Avni went home, change into another shirt, and met up with Ali at the café, where Mitali worked. She took a sip from her coffee and immediately felt the warmth swim through her.

    "So have you paid Neil yet?"

   The sound of Ali's voice took her attention from her coffee, she knew if she said no, Ali would offer to pay it in an instant and she didn't want that. He have done enough for her already.

    "I have some money saved up I will use that." that was now her only option, the money she saved was meant to open her dream restaurant but seems that dream would have to wait.

   "Good."

    They went on to talk about other things, her new recipes, or stories from his school and life abroad. After spending the day with Ali, everything seemed brighter, unlike some people who made her mood turn sour. She picked up her phone and dialled Neil's number.

   "So you can't just keep away can you? I knew you will come around sooner or later." Neil spoke from the other end.

   She rolled her eyes. "I got your money so I will stop by your house tomorrow." She hung up before he could say another word.

   Taking few steps closer to her house she took notice of a black van parked in front of her house, she picked up her pace and met two buff men with her grandfather.

   "Grandpapa." her eyes fell to the old weary man being tossed to the ground.

   One of the men held her back. "Hold on little lady."

   "Hey let go of me." Her legs kicked into thin air.

   "Leave my granddaughter," the old man said.

   "Shut up." Another yelled. "This old gizzard owes us some money and now we are going to show him what happens if he doesn't pay."

   "Wait...I will pay." Avni shot out of her lungs and got their attention. "I have your money."

   She freed herself from the man tight grip and rushed into the house. She tossed her jar ofmoney to the ground which they took and zoomed off in their car in an instant.

   The old man got himself up with a tight grip on his stick. "You shouldn't have done that? Thatwas your saving that you were planning to use to open your restaurant.

   "Or to pay Neil. It didn't matter now. It was meant to save them, whether it saved her grandfather from loan sharks or saved her from Neil Khanna. She didn't regret it one bit.

   "Grandpapa, did you gamble again?" she whined.

   "Gamble? Watch your mouth young lady." He growled. "I needed the money so I borrowed...you shouldn't have used your saving." He dragged himself into the house.

   The next morning...

    Neil was in his study, staring out the window at the rain droplets rolling down like tears on the window. He liked it when it rained, the smell of dust in the air and the cool breeze that followed. But somehow today was different he felt like the sand that the cold rain drop pattered on. He caught reflection of a maid on the window. "What's it now?""Sir, you have a visitor."Neil went out of the study, stood at the top of the stairs, his gaze fixed on Avni walking into the grand hall. She wore her usual farmer's shirt, jean, and sneaker, typical tomboy but her feisty attitude was a whole new level for him, He had never met any girl like her. If he did,he would remember.

   Avni craned her head up. "I need to talk to you. It's about your money."

   He folded his hands. "Good, where is it?"

   She was going to hate this, begging him and pleading with him. More so, she was certain he would enjoy every minute of it. She sighed, the exasperation clear in her tone. "I don't have it."

   He climbed down the stairs. "Yesterday, you called me—

   "Yes but the thing is I used it for something else."

   "I don't believe you."

   "I don't care if you believe me." She shifted her weight from one foot to another.

   He moved round her like a predator fixated on its prey before devouring it then stopped right in front of her. "There are other ways you can pay me."

   Avni saw the cunning look on his face, he resembled the devil and braced herself for the worst. "How? I'm not going on a date with you." Her voice so stern and firm.

   "You...can...work for me." he smirked.Every word pierced her hard. How could she work for the person she despised most in the world? The same person who made her life miserable is now still toying with her just in new and creative ways. "What? No way." her face froze in shock.

   "Avni Ayesha, I don't think you have a choice you have to be my slave."  

TO BE CONTINUED...

DO LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS AND DONT FORGET TO VOTE!!!