00. prologue

( Ronstinav, five years prior, 294 AR )

"CALL YOUR SISTER TO THE THRONE ROOM."

Dmitri nodded grimly, his eyes narrowing slightly at the mention of his beloved sister. He strode away from the throne room, and went to the path that led to the gardens where Aleksandrina ought to be. I wonder what Father wants, he thought.

He found his sister plucking petals from a rose as she stared at it amusingly. Her fingers crumpled the last petal, and she dropped the stem on the ground then lightly stomped on it.

"Aleksandrina," she snapped her neck towards his direction to look at him with an eyebrow quirked up. "Father wants you in the throne room immediately." He glared at her whilst she sneered at the sight of him. "And stop killing the flowers, Mother will be disappointed." Not that she cares anyway, he pursed his lips.

Nodding, Aleksandrina went off and bumped his shoulder without an apology. He even thought that he had seen her smirk whilst she walked away as her dress billowed behind her.

He sat down on one of the benches and plucked a lily from a bush. He twirled it between his fingers, immediately thinking of his mother. He was fond of his mother more than his father, he rarely saw her these days as the Queen prepared to ready the yearly ball in the castle. As prince, he was spared from the details, but his sister was not.

The winds blew louder, and moments later, thunder cracked between the clouds. He placed the lily down on the bench and went back in the castle to see what had happened between his father and sister. His steps were gentle, the soles of his shoes not making a sound whilst his legs strode with purpose.

Eerie silence roamed the halls of the palace, wisps of whispers from the wind reached his ears, but he did not let it faze him. The sleeves of his robe were oddly larger than normal, so it felt uncomfortable. His eyebrow twitched at the less than perfect image of himself.

Just before he entered the throne room, Aleksandrina exited with an impassive look on her perfect, pale face. She turned in his direction, a flash of surprise surpassed her but as quick as it appeared, it had vanished from plain sight.

"Dear brother, what brings you here?"

Scoffing, he replied. "I live here, Rina." He smirked at the slight frown befalling on the plum lips of his sister's. Teasing her was one of his favourite pastimes when they were younger, that thought alone brought him both nostalgia and a tinge of sorrow.

Without a response to his sarcastic reply, his sister walked the other way, her fists clenched in frustration. Everyone knew how deep their sibling rivalry went, deeper than the vast oceans of the world, though, no one knew why. Their history and secrets were locked in a coffer within their minds, never to be opened.