Chapter 2: Get out of here

We rushed down to see what is happening, there were English men, scattered in the main hall.

"Where is Louie?" My mother exclaimed.

"Oh your husband, yeah? Maybe this would answer your question." Then he took out a head cut out, only to find out that it was my father's

All exclaimed in shock, including me, my mother almost fell "GOD, LOUIE! Guards arrest them!" Said mother.

Then there were chaos and the next thing I knew, I was in a room that was locked with the queen "Claude, listen to me, there is chaos in the main hall. You need to get out of here. Do you understand?"

"Me? Father is dead Mother, and you want me to leave?"

"This is for you, dear" She had this look in her eyes that was so sincere.

"But how about you?"

"I can't, I can't leave my people, our people without a ruler, England would snatch the Scottish throne from our grasp, dear." Mother said endearingly.

"Mother, Father just died and yet you'll deprive me of your presence? I don't want to." I exclaimed.

"Claude, can't you see?! Scotland is falling. Your father and his men have been defeated from war. You need to get out of here."

"But...but how about Nic?"

"I will send him to a different place, to the Beaumont's, to your aunt, to wed him to a rich family. And you will go to France, to wed young Francis. Use this alliance to save yourself and Scotland"

"How can you send us away like that Mother? How could you?" I said with resentment

"Because you are my child and I love you, promise me you'll live. This is what your father would want too. Now go to the back door, the guards and the carriage is waiting to take you to France, I have sent them a letter. They are awaiting you."

It was rushed and forced, I don't want to leave Mother and Nicholas, I don't want to leave Scotland. But in order to protect my throne and myself, I must go to France to wed and save my country, I must.

Margaux was there, in the carriage.

"Margaux!!" Hugging her.

She is my friend, my only friend, my bestfriend. She's the sister of the Duchess of Harbor.

"Why are you here?"

"Your mother sent me to assist you in France. How are you holding up Claude?" She said with a comforting smile.

"I'm okay. I need to be okay, Father came back dead and next thing I knew Mother's sending me to France." I smiled bitterly as a tear left my eyes

She hugged me, she knew that comforting words isn't what I need. I need to feel support and that's what she made me feel

"Claude, you know that I'll always be here for you, right?"

"Of course."

Our conversation went far and a lot of catching up was done until we felt the fang of dormancy.
It was a tiring day indeed.

Two words from the footmen woke us up "We're here."

                           ----- IN FRANCE -----

"Your highness, a letter came from Queen Emilia, Queen of Scotland."

Dearest Catherine and Henry,

                Scotland is under attack and I seek for your help. My husband, Louie is now dead. English men have beheaded him and as I want to mourn, I have a country to lead, they have left Scotland with no king and as we agreed a long time ago to wed our child, I think that the seemingly time for that is now. I will entrust my daughter, Claude in your welfare. She is now currently riding a carriage to France. I trust that you will welcome her into French court. I will come when we have settled terms here.

                                                          Your ally,
                                                        Emilia Beaufort

"Guards! Send the dauphin here." Catherine said.

"Mother? You sent for me?" Francis bowed

"You are going to wed Princess Claude."

"What are you saying Mother? I don't even know her!"

"You were once childhood friends, the girl who lived here long ago, do you remember?"

Francis nodded, he seemed to remember.

"We were children back then. I don't even know if she still remembers me."

"You have a lot of time to catch up when she gets here. You've been engaged since you're kids, don't act like you don't know that son."

"I still don't want to Mother, I don't love her." Francis still isn't convinced.

"Nonsense! This alliance will strengthen France and as the dauphin, you will do it. Now prepare she's on her way here." Catherine said with finality.