one

Kaneki

Despite the snow, it wasn't cold outside. The explosions were still fresh in the air and the fires still burning the decimated buildings around me warmed my bare arms. I could hear the wood crackling and the coppery smell of blood and molten metal lingered in my nostrils.

"I'm not going back to Anteiku"

I looked down at Touka, the sadness in my eyes met hers and there was nothing that could have stopped me from feeling awful in that moment.

Although my insides churned and my heart felt as if it was being slowly torn out from inside me, I knew I was doing what was best for her, best for everyone. I wanted to protect the ghouls at Anteiku that had protected me.

"What? Why?"

The eye contact between Touka and I did not waver. I had to be strong.

If Touka knew I was sad too, she'd spend the rest of her life waiting for me to come back.

At least this way, my dear friend still had a shot at life.

"Because...I'm going over to Aogiri"

One Month Later

Everyone at Aogiri seemed to have forgotten about the events that occurred a month ago, and it seemed, to Eto's satisfaction, that I was being welcomed into their ranks.

Of course, my own screams as Jason cut off my toes and my fingers one by one, over and over, were still fresh in my mind. I missed the old Kaneki Ken, I missed going to school and reading books and seeing Hide every day. I chuckled quietly to myself. It was amusing to think I felt lonely back then, back when the entire human race wasn't out to kill me or torture me.

But life with Aogiri wasn't all that bad. With them, I had the opportunity to protect those I cared about. As long as nothing happened to anyone at Anteiku, I would carry on doing what I was doing, even if it was wrong.

Eto was sinister, but kind, in a haunting way. She once told me that she thought we had a lot in common, but I'm not sure what that meant.

Ayato was the one I embarked on missions with. My partner, if you like. We only really spoke if we had to.

Tatara wasn't all that bad, Eto seemed to trust him well enough. He looked at everyone but Noro and Eto as if they were ants, though.

Noro just freaked me out.

I was sitting in a room with the windows blown through. Broken glass littered the floor and a cold midnight breeze whisked through the air. It was dark, but I didn't need the light anyway, my eyes were closed as I sat there, deep in reminiscence. Ayato and I decided it would be best to stay in this abandoned building for the night to keep a low profile, and I had no objections, but my relaxation was cut short as my partner burst through what was left of the door.

"We've gotta go" Ayato said. When we first started working together I thought he hated me, but it turns out he's just always angry with everything.

"Why?"

"Tatara just told me there's a block of abandoned offices a few blocks away and there are CCG working there. We need to get rid of them before they catch wind of what we're doing"

We were planning a rescue mission for an Aogiri member who had been taken into custody by the CCG, so it was imperative that they didn't find out about the operation, otherwise it would go bust and cause more problems for us.

"Fine" I sighed. "Lets go"

Just as I thought there would be no more killing tonight.

Ayato and I jumped silently from building to building as we approached the abandoned office. I turned my head to the side for a second to admire how beautiful Tokyo was from up here. There were so many lights and so much life, I wondered what was happening in the city. I could hear the faint sound of cars but it was mostly silent at such an altitude.

Ayato stopped as we reached the top of a tall building with a few boarded up windows and a 'TO LET' sign. I thought I could see candlelight flickering inside.

"This is it" my partner huffed. "I'm so hungry"

"Let's get this over and done with"

Ayato and I used our Kagunes to propel ourselves through the frail glass windows. Broken glass littered the floor and fell to our feet like sharp raindrops. There was no one in the room we burst into, but I could hear commotion on the floor below us and in the room next to us, so our not-so-delicate entrance had definitely alerted someone.

"I'll check out the next room. You take care of whatever's downstairs" Ayato said demandingly.

I nodded and walked calmly down the stairs. I could hear panicked whispers.

The screams had already started erupting from the upper floor by the time I had reached the door of the room I heard the whispering coming from. Ayato definitely didn't waste any time.

I used my kagune to rip the door off it hinges and I stared at the inhabitants inside. Some were in CCG armour, some were in shirts and ties, all of them looked terrified.

"It's the eyepatch"

"Wait- Are you sure?"

I sighed.

...

Blood, intestines and other indistinguishable human body parts littered the dirty carpet. I had become numb to gore and violence as of late. It was just a way of life for me now. This was what I had to do.

"Hey, are you do-, eugh you really made a mess didn't you?" Ayato smirked as he stood in the doorway and admired my handiwork. "I'm impressed"

I exhaled. "Are we leaving now, then?"

"Aren't you gonna eat? We've got time"

"I'm not hungry"

Ayato rolled his eyes and wiped the blood from his face. "Freak. Let's go then"

Just as I was about to walk away from the door, I heard an injured wheeze. I was going to let the individual live and leave anyway since my partner didn't seem to notice, but for some reason I decided to turn and look back instead.

There, lying on the ground, was a girl. No older than 18. She had long, black hair, which was now matted and covered with dry and fresh blood. She was pretty, in a sinister kind of way.

There were huge, gaping wounds all over her. I had no idea how she was still alive.

I furrowed my brow as I looked closer. I didn't remember killing that one. In fact, I didn't remember her at all.

Her eyes were only slightly open, but I ran over when I noticed.

"What are you doing?" Ayato barked.

"Come here" I replied calmly

The girl's eyes finally shut as she lost consciousness.

"She's a ghoul"