four

Kaneki

I punched one ghoul in the jaw and pierced his abdomen with my kagune. Another one ran up behind me but I spun around and kicked him in the face, watching him as he went flying.

The third ghoul's kagune managed to slice into my arm, but to his horror, I healed in a matter of seconds and crushed him with my red tendrils. My rate of regeneration was so fast, it even shocked me sometimes.

Eto had personally asked me to get rid of a group of ex-Aogiri ghouls that had run from the organisation and threatened to spread sensitive information around. I didn't know what this sensitive information was, and I didn't really care. I did what I was told in Aogiri, to protect the ones I loved.

And although I knew what I was doing had a purpose, I couldn't keep my mind off Dakota.

I was still angry in the morning so I left without saying a word to anyone, but I was starting to think that I may have been unreasonable. Why did I even get angry with her? I wasn't usually an aggressive person, I never had been.

She was in a completely new environment with hundreds of dangerous ghouls that she didn't know. She was vulnerable, and I left her alone. I vowed to apologise to her when I returned.

Dakota

I walked through the dark corridor, heading back to my room, feeling defeated, when I bumped into someone.

"I'm so sorry-" I started to say.

The girl I bumped into took her red hood off her face and smiled at me kindly.

"No no that's okay" she replied. "I wasn't looking where I was going"

The girl was about my height, maybe a little shorter, with a sweet voice and brown, almost blonde hair. She looked like a flower, too delicate to be part of Aogiri. Maybe she got lost on her way to join a book club?

"Are you new around here?" she noticed my silence. "I'm Riko"

I returned the smile uneasily. "Dakota" I replied. "What do you do around here?"

"This and that" Riko beamed as she walked with me. "My parents were members of Aogiri, so I joined too"

"Were?" I asked inquisitively, instantly regretting my question and making a mental note that I had to start thinking before I spoke.

"Yeah" the pretty girl replied sadly. "They were killed a few years ago by the CCG"

"Oh...I'm sorry," I said, trying to be sympathetic but not really knowing how to express my emotions.

"That's okay" she shook her head. "I'm here now, so I can get some serious revenge"

I laughed.

"You look lonely," Riko said curiously. "Don't you know anyone here?"

"Not really"

"Wrong!" she giggled. "You know me!"

"I guess so" I nodded.

I guess it wasn't that bad here after all. Even if Riko was the only nice person here, she seemed pretty interested in me, and one friend is better than no friends, right?

Me and Riko spent a while getting to know each other. She told me more about her parents and what missions she had been on. She talked an awful lot, but that suited me just fine. I wasn't really ready to talk about my past anyway.

"I'm gonna head off to bed now" I smiled wearily. "It was great meeting you, Riko"

"Likewise" she grinned. "See you tomorrow!"